Disability Appeals and RAMP

BRlang

I have had a hearing appeal filed since December of 2014. Back in the spring I got a letter inviting me to move my appeal out of the black hole to the RAMP program. With some hesitation I returned the form and moved into RAMP. It did speed some things up. On August 6th I got a notification that I was being reviewed. They sent me to a civilian Audiologist for a second opinion. Something told me to grab a few documents. I took my entry flight physical test with perfect 19 year old hearing and my last flight physical right before I got out. The last hearing test showed a large drop in my hearing. I also brought information of an explosion on board that killed 3 Cambodians and blew me off the ramp. I think that is when the ringing started. I had included all these documents with my original claim. They sent him a file but none of this was included. After doing my hearing test and seeing the stuff I brought he said I can't believe they made you appeal.  Well in late January a bunch of money showed up in my bank account and I got a letter awarding me 10%. Had I left my file at home I am not sure I would have won......But the RAMP program did get my appeal back in the works. Had I not made the move it could have bee a few more years before it could be reviewed. The RAMP program was part of the VA overhaul. They can actually fire people for screwing up or poor performance..  

• 1 month later...

I just received a letter from Headquarters Air Force Personnel Center at Randolph AFB that my Vietnam service time has been added to my DD-214. I was TDY from Okinawa quite often and It never was reflected in my service records. I was awarded Vietnam Service Medal with two Bronze stars, Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross with Palm. They determined I had 5 months and 10 days in country. It only took two years to get the correction letter after I submitted paperwork through the local VA office. I am just more proof it can be accomplished.