Passing of Ret. Col. JJ Smith

jconner2

I am saddened to report the passing of Col. Jerry James "JJ" Smith. JJ flew C-130's at Dyess AFB as part of the 346th and I was lucky to be a young A3C loadmaster on his crew. We flew many missions, including early cross-switch rotations to Evereaux and Mildenhall. We went on two NASA Gemini support missions to North Africa and Kano Nigeria.

JJ flew C-121 Super Coni missions out of Udorn Thailand tracking movement along the Ho Chi Minh Trail. He later spent almost a decade as an Instructor pilot and liason to the RAF at Lakenheath England.

JJ was a wonderful pilot who loved flying the C-130. He logged thousands of hours covering the globe. I was honored to have him as a mentor and my commander while in the USAF and as a close friend for many years.

JJ was preceeded in death by his wife Joan. He leaves behind his two daughters and numerous grandchildren and many people who were lucky to have him as a friend.

Please take a moment to say a prayer for this special man and member of the Herc community.

John Conner