Passing of Pat Brainerd

Sad news from the HB inbox via Maurice Alford.

Our daughter Laura called him and talked to him a bit Saturday night...he was sitting up in bed...probably about 8 PM.

One of the Brainerd cousins (Mike, Pat's nephew) was with him until 9 PM.

Somewhere in this time period, he called son Andy and left him a message, "Hey, Meathead! I love you."

He told his lady friend Kay to go on home and take care of Curly (his dog).

Then sometime about 9:30 he had a relaspe/sinking spell.

Things just stopped....they gave him 2 shocks and tried CPR, but he never came back.

Laura and her brother Andy are just heartbroken because it was rather unexpected since he seemed to have pulled through this tough and long surgery so well. They are in shock and sadness.

Andy's best friend Kathy in Huntsville was able to get Laura a plane ticket to Houston and she flew out of FWB this evening at 6:30 PM.

He and Kathy flew out of Huntsville this afternoon.

Laura's son and daughter are leaving Monday when James Patrick gets off work as a Leon County Sheriff's deputy (night shift)...drives to FWB and picks up his sister Marguerite about noontime and then off to Houston....in all this stormy weather of Collette.

Pat listed his son Andy as next of kin and they cannot do an autopsy until he gets there to sign papers, etc.

They do not know what caused him to suddenly die.

I do not know anyone who didn't like Paddy Brainerd...he was a true Irishman.

For all his old pals at Sewart AFB in Smyrna and at Lockebourne in Ohio and all over the Tactical Air Command world from Ubon to CCK to Clark to Evreux to Mildenhall to Hurlburt and the Spectre C-130's and all points in between, please pass this message along so that many will know.

Have a gin and tonic or a scotch or a VO...and give him a toast!

Pat told the docs before the surgery, "Don't you mess with that part of my brain where I have all my jokes stored!"

He was one of the greatest joke tellers of all time!

RIP

PHOTOS ARE

PAT BRAINERD WITH OUR SON ANDY AND DAUGHTER LAURA

[ATTACH]393[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]392[/ATTACH]