Info needed on 774 TAS crash, Oct 69

rv7plt

Hello all,

Just discovered this site and thought I would see if anyone was in the 774 TAS at Clark when we lost a bird in Vietnam in Oct 69. In particular, interested in who the crew members were because I am making A trip to DC soon and would like to find their names on the wall. Cause of the crash was thought to be an inflight explosion possibly due to sabatoge.

If any members recognize my name, send me a hello email.

John Henley

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

Just discovered this site and thought I would see if anyone was in the 774 TAS at Clark when we lost a bird in Vietnam in Oct 69. In particular, interested in who the crew members were because I am making A trip to DC soon and would like to find their names on the wall. Cause of the crash was thought to be an inflight explosion possibly due to sabatoge.

If any members recognize my name, send me a hello email.

John Henley

I was at Clark in the 29th when it happened. The names Bob Daley posted are correct. The accident was written up as "possible sabatoge" but is listed as an operational loss rather than a combat loss. The story we heard in the other squadrons was that they flew into an artillery firing area. Howie Seaboldt discussed this one the C-130 Email group. I believe he said they thought it was hit by a shell from the battleship USS NEW JERSEY, which was operating off of South Vietnam at the time. It was common to attribute losses that weren't definite accidents to some kind of enemy action because of GI insurance payments.