In That Bag

snowyday

John Lottajack was deeply touched when he arose to speak at the testimonial dinner given in honor of his fiftieth business anniversary. His voice trembled when he spoke.

“When I came to this city,†he said, “I walked down the dusty street. I had no fine automobile. Not even a horse and buggy. My only suit was on my back and the soles of my shoes were getting thin. All my personal possessions I carried in a brown paper sack.

“Our city has been good to me. My store prospered. I own a newspaper and radio station. I’m president of our largest bank and I hold controlling interest in a corporation that operates in 257 cities. I’m a member of our leading clubs and I own several business blocks.â€

After dinner Mr. Lottajack was approached by a lad who shyly asked, “Mister, could you tell me what you carried in that brown paper sack when you came here fifty years ago?â€

“Sure, son, I can recall every item. In that bag I had $300,000 in cash and $500,000 in negotiable securities.â€