hello---need info on C-130

John53

Hello---new to forum,nice site. I am going to model a C-130 and need info. It is one my brother maintained when he was stationed at Forbes AFB back around 1970-1975. He is no longer around so I have no info on the type. I think they were E\'s? but not sure. He went in after ROTC from college---when he graduated from UMASS in 70 he was called up and sent to Chanute for training then stationed at Forbes, was let out early when Viet Nam ended around 74 or 75? All I remember was he had a model, think it was Italeri 1/72 painted in SEA cammo, he displayed it on his stereo system next with a \"Remove Before Flight\" flag on his stereo.Any info would be appreciated---Thanks---John

Hello---thanks to all for info,I should have ask these years ago while my brother was alive but \"ya never know\" whats gonna happen and when. When ever my brother came for visits I only saw him in his blues so I have no idea what unit ,wing or whatever I am looking for---again thanks---John

John

I\'ll dig through my files if I have a little time today and get you some numbers to look up in the Gallery.

Forbes had 2 Squadrons 38 and 47in the 70\'s.

38 had FH on the tails and 47 had FB, later on they all had FB.

As was said above we were all in Tacyical Air Command TAC back then.

Are you from MA?

Bob

Bob---thanks, no hurry been waiting quite a few years , a couple days won\'t matter. Yes I am from Mass. as was my older brother, would have been 60 this year, graduated U-Mass in 70, went to Forbes from training at Chanute as a \"2nd louie\" I am guessing from whay I can remember over phone 30 some years ago---Thanks again for all the help---John

Bob---thanks,yes am from Mass. as was my older brother,he would be 60 this year,U-Mass. grad 1970,ROTC, then to Chanute then Forbes as a \"2nd louie\" as he put it.He was the guy with the light blue Volvo and Red Honda motorcycle, said he got caught riding motorcycle in a tornado once(if ya beleive that TOTO!!!)---Thanks for all the help---John

John

I still have a home in West Roxbury, in the city.

I checked Lars Olausson\'s Herk list vs. what we have in the gallery.

I came up with about 36 C130E\'s at Forbes.

The ones we have in the Gallery are 3993 all, 3996B, 3997E, 4000C, 4022G, 4029G, 4033B, 4044E, 4063B, 4079A, 4085B.

That should give you a pretty good idea of what the Forbes Herks looked like.

Bob

I was at Forbes in 1969 to 1970 and I was in the 47th TAS as a E model Crew Chief Assistant of 64-0533 then 64-0509.I worked for Sgt Bob Crow and after another Crew Chief till I got orders for CCK in Taiwan. Forbes did alot of Mildenhall and Rhinemein rotations for 60 to 90 days at a time during those days with an ocasional rotation to Panama and Central and South America.

I will try to look thru my pictures to find some photos of Forbes Acft.

Vince A.

Vince---thanks, I do remember my brother saying he flew to Germany and first thing he saw was Golden Arches of McDonalds,also mentioned Panama,he came home with a recipe for tortillas that time. He also mentioned having to take some kind of self defense training before flying to Laos or Cambodia???? He wasn\'t very clear on what that was all about---Thanks again---John

• 1 month later...

Hello---I am back for more of your excellent information.I have started

modeling a Revell 1/144 C-130 and its an older kit of either an A or B model so the nose gear door is 2 doors,either side of wheel well. Where can I find a picture of the E model 1 piece door so I can scratch build the correct type. Also what size were the letters FB or FH on the tail for the early 70\'s Forbes planes.Need to order decals and scale them to 1/144,were the letters 18, 24, or 36 inch? Also what size were the stars and bars? Thanks for all the information so far, it is MUCH appreciated. John