Block Numbers?

Guest Casey

Were block numbers used for C-130's before the J? I received an e-mail asking and I said "no" but the reply got me wandering.

Hi Casey,

There are no block numbers?

Then what are such these following :

55-046 / 048 : C-130A-20-LM

56-468 / 488 : C-130A-25-LM

56-489 / 509 : C-130A-30-LM

56-510 / 530 : C-130A-35-LM

56-0531/ 551 : C-130A-40-LM

57-453 / 497 : C-130A-45-LM

57-498 / 509 : C-130A-50-LM

57-510 / 524 : RC-130A-55-LM

These are the sort of block numbers to which I refer.

The highest block number I have seen is for the EC-130Q-360-LM.

Once again, would any of your members have a full listing of these block numbers ?

Regards

Bob

If there were does anyone know of a listing?

I found the following info at this site.

http://www.vicflintham.co.uk/lists/usdes.html

Variations in the role within a particular model are given a letter prefix. Hence a version of the C-130B converted for search and rescue became the HC-130B. A second series of prefix letters may be used to designate status; the prototype C-130 was designated YC-130A. Finally there are block numbers and manufacturers' codes, the former indicating minor variations and the latter the factory of manufacture. Block numbers are sequential, but they normally progress by fives or tens. Thus one version of the C-130 was the C-130B-70-LM indicating the seventh block of the C-130B with minor variations and built by Lockheed Marietta. In practice, these last two elements are rarely used.

Anyone have more Info?

When I worked at the Lockwasher, 1983-85, as the C-130's were being built they would have a " build code" of 2 digits and 1 letter such as "18E", about 6 inches high, stenciled on each side of the nose. This is the so called block number I guess. I never heard it called that on the assembly line when I worked there. The Herks build code, 8 at a time on the final assy line, would skip around because we were building Herks for the whole world. Very seldom would more than 2-3 come down the line together with the same build code. After I quit Lockheed they started building strings of acft with the same build codes such as in 1986, 13 each "69E" versions for Taiwan and collective runs of 8 to 16 with the same code for the Guard and Reserves. We at Dobbins had a split buy of 6 each "18E" and 2 "60E" versions. Of course since then they have been modded to who knows what. Each build code told you what blueprints to call for at the beginning of your shift. The prints told you what went on that acft and how to install or wire the part or system or if it got mud flaps and radio and heater ha ha. The prints were to be turned in at the end of your shift. Funny thing was every 7 days all the Herks were moved forward one position on the swing shift. Next day some of the old heads who rat holed their prints would start working on the acft (not noticing it had moved) and use the prints from the acft that had moved out of their position. I saw this a few times as part of my job as an OJT, which was to try to solve problems before we called in a "Production Engineer". I told several of those guys that Lockheed still builds a great aircraft in spite of them. ha ha. Bill

Edited by Spectre623