Who,s Herc is this ?

Alaskaload

Hercules to airlift Gorgon materials

Chris Thomson

August 17, 2009 - 6:33AM

A civilian variant of the leviathan Hercules aircraft will be employed to airlift building materials to Chevron's massive Gorgon gas project off Barrow Island in Western Australia's north.

Newly formed company Stallion Aviation has asked the Shire of Roebourne to let it fly a Lockheed 382 aircraft, the civilian variant of the C-130 Hercules, from Karratha Airport to Barrow Island from December this year.

Chevron Corporation has contracted Stallion to conduct the 18-month Hercules airlift during the LNG plant's construction phase.

The aircraft is a crucial part of the operation, because there is no deep water port on Barrow Island.

Roebourne Shire officers have advised there are no operational limitations to prevent a Hercules operating from Karratha.

Under the plan, Stallion would lease an undeveloped block of land for use as a freight storage facility, and an area of runway apron from which to operate the Hercules and allow for loading and unloading to take place.

On August 10, the West Australian government gave its final environmental approval for the Gorgon project - which will be Australia's largest resources foray.

If approved, Stallion's plans would be a boon for the council-owned airport which would garner $160,000 in rent if the proposed 18-month lease and six-month extension run their full length.

The main financial benefit to the airport however would be the expected $6 million landing fees over the two year period, estimated on the Hercules' maximum take-off weight of 70 tonnes and on four return flights from Karratha to Barrow Island per day.

Karratha Airport is WA's second busiest, behind Perth Airport

I can think of only 4 companies that operate commercial Hercs -- Lynden, Transafrik, Safair & Maximus. I would imagine that Stallion Aviation is probably wet leasing one of those.

Of course, there are the other guys on the dark side -- Prescott, Tepper, etc.

Don R.

I can think of only 4 companies that operate commercial Hercs -- Lynden, Transafrik, Safair & Maximus. I would imagine that Stallion Aviation is probably wet leasing one of those.

Of course, there are the other guys on the dark side -- Prescott, Tepper, etc.

Don R.

Well, it's not Lynden's