Ennie One Remember

donwon

I was at Naha from June 65 till Nov 66.

I was an asst. C/C on a c-130. 51 st and 21 st.

We had a typhoon that was suppose to hit and one plane that wasn't in shape to fly. It had just got back from IRAN. All the hangers were full

so a flight crew was gonna keep it headed into the wend

and fly it on the ground.

We towed it out in front of base ops and started to refuel it and all of a sudden a row of rivits popped out and fuel started spilling on the ground from the front of the wing to the back.

The fire trucks were on us in just a matter of seconds.

We got an empty fuel truck and started the defuel fast as we could while the fire dept put foam and water on the spill.

Everything ran into the drains and you could smell fuel all down past the navy ramp to the end of the runway.

I don't remember exactly when it was but it was while I was there. I was on the crew that was refueling. SSGT Orlando was over the tow crew that evening.

I wasn't at Naha all the time I was gone with one of the planes most of the time. Sept, oct and part of nov 66 I was in Bangkok. They sent for me at Bangkok to go back to Naha and process out.

Tape had been left on the tank vent on the inside so we had no clue from checking from the outside.

That typhoon took a turn, or stalled out right before stage 1 and missed us.

I think we got a little rain.

I would think most all the flight crews were already bugged out.

Sounds like I missed some good and exciting chit by not reuping.