PLA GOL

SamMcGowan

I went down to San Antonio last week for the PLA's "gathering of loads." While it wasn't dominated by C-130 people, there were a few there. I ran into Bob Antoline, who went to Naha on the same plane with me and about 25 others and was in the 35th. There were a number of people from Dyess, as well as a few from Travis who were at CCK and Naha. Didn't get all the names because the name tags were too darn small.

Personally, I think these organizations are a good way to renew old acquaintances. The PLA is actually a professional organization but has a lot of vets in it too. We went out to Lackland and visited the aircrew training school and heard a briefing on how they train modern potential aircrew members, including flight attendants. They've got a B-model that they use to train loadmasters, engineers, boom operators, etc. It's one of the former Yokota birds that went to the Reserves at Kelly, then to Lackland when it was retired. I was suprised to see that they've got one of old 1950s' era Bulldog winches in it! Those things were already old when I got to Pope where we had a newever version on the new E's we were getting. Speaking of organizations and gatherings, it's still not too late to make the 2010 Troop Carrier/Tactical Airlift Assoc. convention next month - www.troopcarrier.org/home.html.