Private Sawtell

snowyday

There seemed to be nothing in the world that Private Sawtell couldn’t do. Around Manila, where he served, they called him “the most versatile man in the Army.

One day, when an officer wanted a haircut and the barber was away, Private Sawtell volunteered to do the job.

Were you ever a barber? Asked the officer.

Yes, sir, replied Sawtell, I was a barber for three years.

A few days later another officer, heartily tired of the regular camp rations, wanted a special dish prepared.

I can prepare it, sir, said Private Sawtell, saluting.

Did you ever cook? He was asked.

Yes, Sir; three years experience, sir.

The dish was marvelous. Three days later the colonel’s horse threw a shoe, Private Sawtell fixed it. After that he was, successively, dentist, letter-writer, watch-repairer, leading tenor in the camp show, and a dozen other things. In all these tasks he claimed long experience, and in all he served superlatively well.

“Private Sawtell,†said the colonel, “I have a warrant for your arrest. Seems you’re badly wanted back in the United States. You have been a particularly valuable man, Sawtell, and I hate to lose you, particularly as you will have to go to prison.â€

“Oh, that’s all right, colonel,†replied Sawtell. “I’ve had experience – four years in Leavenworth.â€

snowyday