Poor fellow

snowyday

Before a country inn two thieves espied a fine horse hitched to a farm wagon.

“We need that animal,†said one of the thieves, “but if the owner came out and found him gone he’d give chase and capture us. That would mean jail for us.â€

“Leave it to me,†said the other thief. “You take the horse and ride away as fast as you can. I’ll take care of the owner.â€

When the owner of the horse came out of the inn, he found his horse gone, and in its stead stood the thief, the harness

upon him, the feed bag hanging from his neck.

“What’s the meaning of this?†the farmer cried.

“My dear sir,†replied the man in the harness, “don’ get excited, I’m your horse. You see, years ago, I was a human being, just like you. Then I committed a sin, and as a punishment an avenging power decreed that I should be a horse for a number of years. My term has just expired, and now I am again a human being.

“Poor fellow,†commiserated the countryman, “poor fellow. And I’ve treated you so cruelly at times. Will you ever forgive me?â€

“That’s all right, friend,†said the thief, throwing off his harness. “Now I’ll be on my way. Maybe I’ll see you again sometime.

A few weeks later the farmer went to the fair to buy another horse, and lo, there stood his good old horse, which a peasant was offering for sale.

The farmer walked over to his former animal and whispered in it’s ear, “Aha, so you’ve sinned again. Shame on you.

snowyday