537AS and 345AS

bobdaley

I just read that 537 AS has closed at the Dorf, due to losing 4 Herks.

Has anyone heard if 345 AS at Keesler will close when the J's go to Pope?

Thanks

Bob

Just found this:

In addition to the loss of aircraft, the Force Structure Action Implementation Plan indicated that the 815th Airlift Squadron and their active duty partners, the 345th Airlift Squadron at Keesler Air Force Base would have closed their doors.

Bob

Edited by bobdaley

• 3 weeks later...

Metal move is on indefinite hold (at least April '14, possibly longer) while big AF make up their collective minds. With the latest iteration, the 345th AND 815th would both stand down with the movement of those tails to a new home. As usual, it's all cast in semi-firm jello (hope that doesn't amount to copyright infringement...)

• 3 months later...

RIF action formally announced yesterday across 403 Wing. 815AS Flying Jennies, 345AS Golden Eagles and 53WRS Hurricane Hunters being the flying squadrons involved within the wing. The two Tac units (345th and 815th) lowering the flags and closing. Iron begins moving NLT end of FY14. Latest rumor is LRF--Pope is out! New associate unit would stand up at LRF...probably to grab a more historically significant squadron number/history? Also a possibility two of the Tac tails (the '94-model shorts) might remain with 53d, who, once again, may pick up a restricted Tac mission. 53d will absorb many/most of the personnel from the 815th who wish to remain at Keesler, but looks like losing quite a few of our MX folks and others across the wing!! More to come, as "the times they are a-changin". I know, more copyrights I'm sure :)