C-130 News: Letter signals deactivation of Airlift Wing at Fort Bragg

casey

56bbeb4c6495b_2016-02-05PopeField.jpg.b3

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (WNCN) – The 440th Airlift Wing at Fort Bragg’s Pope Airfield appears on the brink of being deactivated, according to a letter that has already drawn a blistering response from North Carolina Congressional leaders.

A letter from military leaders, including Secretary of the Air Force Debora Lee James, notes that the Air Force is looking to reallocate resources.

“With increasing budget pressures, and to continue support to the Army while accomplishing all other missions, the Air Force must manage its tactical airlift fleet in the most efficient manner,” the letter states. WNCN obtained a copy of the letter Friday afternoon.

In a statement, the Air Force said it is starting a 90-day timeline limiting aircraft movement associated with the Wing closure.

“The 440th has been and will continue to plan for inactivation this September,” the Air Force said.

If the unit is deactivated, that could have a significant impact on Fort Bragg and Fayetteville. North Carolina  The Fayetteville Observer also reported Friday that some Army officials are privately concerned about the ability of the Air Force to provide necessary training if the Airlift Wing departs.

Congressional leaders have fought to keep the Airlift Wing in the state, and the report about deactivation drew a strong response from Congressional leaders.

“In my discussions with the former commander of the XVIII Airborne Corps and soldiers and airmen at Fort Bragg, they say it makes no sense, will negatively affect their flexibility, and will likely threaten their ability to provide the training needed to complete their mission,” said Sen. Thom Tillis. “The fact that I received this update not from the Air Force, but from third parties, further undermines my confidence in this decision and galvanizes my commitment to holding the parties accountable.

And Sen. Richard Burr said the decision would have an impact on the nation’s readiness for battle.

“I’m concerned that this is going to negatively impact national security and decrease the readiness of combat units at Fort Bragg that are essential in the current fight against terrorism,” Burr said. “We are depriving them of an important asset that they have relied on for decades and now is not the time to remove important resources from our troops.”

And Rep. Renee Ellmers, who represents the district in the U.S. House of Representatives, said, “This decision to deactivate is beyond disappointing- it’s irresponsible to our paratroopers and their readiness.

“I am two years into fighting this proposal, and the Air Force has yet to alleviate any of my initial concerns. In fact, the Air Force has unapologetically marched forward with this misguided proposal and shown disdain at the concerns voiced by the NC delegation and the Fayetteville community. This letter has started a 90-day review period by the House and Senate Armed services committees, and I will once again meet with House and Senate Armed Services Chairmen, top military officials at the Pentagon, and local leaders at Bragg because we deserve answers.”

Source:http://wncn.com/2016/02/05/report-airlift-wing-at-fort-bragg-to-be-deactivated/

Image: http://www.fayobserver.com/c/image_89ff1e98-b9ca-11e4-b83e-b7b566c9d5e0.html

View full article