Israel / Egypt Yom Kippur War 73

moosemodeler

2 hours ago, larry myers said:

No to the best of my recollection.

There were, however, a couple of exceptional happenings.

TAC quickly transferred a squadron of C-130Es and F-4Es to the Israel AF.

Daily there several El Al B747s on the Langley ramp loading munitions from Yorktown Naval Weapons Station. 

Wow! Never heard a word about that!Exceptional happenings for sure.

On 2/27/2017 at 2:51 PM, moosemodeler said:

During the conflict, were the USAF Tactical Airlift units alerted ot placed on a heightened state of readiness during this period ?  

Don't know about trash haulers, but 54th WRS (MAC) launched us toward the (secret) dispersal? location. Made it as far as Makapu Beach. My first visit to the lovely Hawaiian Isles courtesy of Uncle Sam. :) Then they turned us around. :( October, as i recall, 1973.

13 hours ago, moosemodeler said:

Fred,  thank you for the reply ! 

Did you deploy with the normal personal equipment for the situation ? Flight Helmet, Survival Vest ect...

Helmet? Yes.  No sweep-on masks on the airplanes. Most guys had to carry the helmet every flight to have some way to don oxygen and have comm. Some former "big MAC" guys had a quick donning arrangement for oxygen mask, so they could have oxygen with a regular headset.

As far as survival gear...I don't remember. I don't even know if the 54th maintained combat survival gear available. I was still a "new guy" in Herks, and weather recon was kind of an off-beat corner of the USAF Herk world.