AF Times beddown of new AC

herkeng

I just got done with the new AF times and they had an article stating where the USAF beddown of future airframes would be. I see Mansfield on the list as a JCA base.

What happened to the BRAC on Mansfield. BRAC stated Mansfield would close, no future mission, no aircraft change, no guard base. Now they show up as a JCA unit? What gives? I am not bagging on the folks there, I have enjoyed working with them over the years and thought it was another huge mistake by the BRAC to shut \'em down. What happend to make the change and how did Ohio do it?

Herkeng

Retired in Texas

Aaron

Thanks, I just talked to Bruce and he said I needed to reread the report. Since retirement I have had a tendancy to dump all the junk info I had stored between the headset. Over all a good retirement plan except for when I ask a stupid question on this board.:laugh:

Here is what I found in the report, it says what Aaron stated:

COMMISSION RECOMMENDATIONS

The Commission found that the Secretary of Defense deviated substantially from final selection criteria 1, 2, 4 and 6, as well

as from the Force Structure Plan. Therefore, the Commission recommends the following:

Realign Mansfield-Lahm Municipal Airport Air Guard Station (AGS), OH. Distribute the 179th Airlift Wing’s C-130H aircraft to meet the Primary Aircraft Authorizations (PAA) requirements established by the Base Closure and Realignment recommendations of the Secretary of Defense, as amended by the Defense Base Closure and Realignment Commission.

Establish 8 C-130H PAA at the 908th Airlift Wing (AFR), Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama.

Establish a contiguous enclave for the 179th Airlift Wing (ANG) sufficient to support operations of that unit, including

flight operations, and compatible with joint use of the Mansfield-Lahm Municipal Airport as a civilian airport.

If the State of Ohio decides to change the organization, composition and location of the 179th Airlift Wing (ANG) to integrate the unit into the Future Total Force, all personnel allotted to the 179th Airlift Wing (ANG), including the unit’s Expeditionary Combat Support (ECS) elements, will remain in place and assume a mission relevant to the security interests of the State of Ohio and consistent with the integration of the unit into the Future Total Force, including but not limited to air mobility, C4ISR, Information Operations, engineering, flight training or unmanned aerial vehicles. Where appropriate, unit personnel will be retrained in skills relevant to the emerging mission.

This recommendation does not effect a change to the authorized end-strength of the Ohio Air National Guard. The distribution of aircraft currently assigned to the 179th Airlift Wing (ANG) is based upon a resource-constrained determination by the Department of Defense that the aircraft concerned will better support national security requirements in other locations and is not conditioned upon the agreement of the state.

The Commission found that this change and the recommendation as amended are consistent with the final selection criteria

and the Force Structure Plan.

That article/list is a bunch of crap. They\'re all \"potential\" sites. Just stirred up all the CODELs and TAGs, that\'s all...now everyone on the list expects those planes to go there. And will be equally pissed if they don\'t get them.

Puerto Rico is not a BRAC location, that was an ANG initiative...The JCA is crazy hot political stuff right now; every BRAC\'d unit wants \'em, but there aren\'t enough to go around and they don\'t come in fast enough. Bad juju...in many ways.