Aircraft wash

biddyman

On the H3s, they have encapsulated toilets. The 1C-130A-23CL-1 step 9 reads:

9. Remove right and left ramp hinge panels and belly band panel. (Required for aircraft with encapsulated toilet, only on wash prior to ISO.)

Wasn\'t the purpose of this actually for planes with the Urinal Drain Tubes? I was thinking it should read \'Not required for...\'. I know it used to get nasty and corroded with the drain tubes in these areas. The way the book reads now, it would never get accomplished on aircraft with drain tubes.

Guest cobra935o

The way it reads now sounds just fine to me, stating that for the self contained toilets it only needs to be removed for wash prior to Iso\'s, meaning for all others it must be removed at all wash\'s. I dont think this statement used to be in there, as we used to take the belly band off for all wash\'s on our U model gunships, but then that was about the 94-97 time frame.

Nathan

Biddy,

I get asked this question all the time in QA. Nathan is right in his post. Everyone sees the quote and reads just \"remove prior to ISO\" and think, wow we don\'t have remove this thing but only once a year?! Like Nathan said you still have to remove these panels on all aircraft unless you have the encapsulated toilet which then you only have to remove it prior to ISO only.

I thought about putting in a change for this, but it actually isn\'t that confusing as long as you don\'t let it get to your head thinking you are saving some extra work by not removing these panels. I have had pro supers argue this with me and then I just spell it out to them. Does it really make sense to just remove this panel once a year with the pissers spraying piss all over the belly of your airplane?? Then you have the encapsulated toilet in a sealed system, well suppose to be anyway. They seem to get it for the most part, but you always have the stubborn ones who have never even washed a C-130.

Sorry for the book, but this one hits close to home.

DaveB)

I think if it was changed to \'On aircraft\' instead of \'Required for\' the confusion would be gone. Actually, asked a couple of teachers here on drill and they read it at first that it was only required for for encapsulated toilets.