Cannon AFB

I overheard some mutterings about some concerns pertaining to (the future) H-model gunships flying out of Cannon.

It has been said that if an airplane is on takeoff from the Cannon altitude on a hot day (typical in the summer months) with a nominal load of ammo and fuel, a hiccup on an engine could spell disaster. Surely, someone in Ops has looked at the numbers and provided an input to the higher command......

true we have been doing it in OEF for sometime, although with a checked out crew, there will be students in all crew posistions, the main problem will be lack of training due to no training enviorment and short sorties, and wear on the airplane due to max power takeoffs and wing loading due to less fuel available to meet climb gradients etc. so getting in to area B and secondary fuel management will be the norm which will wear out the airplane quicker, got to love polotics that and its all about stars and stripes and who can get thiers.

Okay, glad there is someone out there who understands where I\'m coming from on this one...margins are tight, with little room for error. Not ideal for a student/training environment....there needs to be a little extra room for error when training or testing is involved.

John

You might not have to worry about that. With recent elections, the person in the seat of power in our state \"round house\" is not to all for defense. And they may not fight as hard to keep Cannon open the next round of base closings.

:dry:

I think however as long as the CV-22s continue to have Clovis for training, there should not be much of a problem.