C-130 Gunship's spooky

sweeneyhj

54-1629 The Arbitrator

Battle damaged over Laos, crashed and burned at Ubon RTAFB, 24 May 1969. The first AC-130A loss of the war. While on armed reconnaissance (a.k.a. "truck hunting") over Southern Laos. The aircraft, piloted by Lieutenant Colonel W. H Schwehm, was hit by 57 mm AAA while orbiting at over 6,000 feet. LTC Schwehm had ordered his crewmen to bail out as they approached the airfield, while he attempted an emergency landing at his Ubon Air Base. As the battle damaged Spectre touched down, the right undercarriage collapsed and the Gunship veered off the runway into an obstacle, catching fire. Eleven crewmen survived, but Staff Sergeants Cecil Taylor and Jack W. Troglen were kia.

Edited by BobWoods

Col. Tigwell,

Yes this Cheif Master Sgt. Retired Sept. 2004. I also am a Vietnam Vet,Desert Sheild and Desert Storm Vet and Iraq War Vet. I'm Air Force all the way. What branch of service were you in?? I salute you and thank you very much for the information about the C-130 gunship. I saw ir all when it came in. It was a terrible sight to see. I'll never forget. Also saw a few F-4's to slide in.

Msgt Sweeney