1597 & 1598 'GREYBIRDS' at Yokota AB

venom 66

I was wondering if anyone knows if 73 models (super E's) 1597 and 1598 are still at Yokota. I was there from jan 90 to jan 93. I had to pull 'SAAM' preps a couple times on those birds with Tsgt Don Herlacher. What fun that was. A 3 day BPO!!

Edited by venom 66

Can someone enlighten me with some history on these "Greybirds"? I heard an old FE call my plane that one time and I know it has to do with their mission at Yakota requiring them to have no markings but thats about all the details I have.

From what I knew when I was at Yokota,1597 & 1598 were painted all over glossy grey with no exterior markings at all.The acft went on what was called 'SAAM' missions,that they flew into places that only the flt crew knew about.There used to be a place on the fuselage just aft of the paratroop doors,that a panel with the 'star and bars' painted on it can be installed with a bunch of screws,so the acft could go on normal missions.Also, the acft had no data plates in the flt deck.

Edited by venom 66

One funny story about one of the greybirds; one nite me and Tsgt Don Herlacher were tasked with walking around and changing the scroll checklists in the flt deck (anyone remember those things?) and we had just left one acft and walking to another,when about 0130 hrs, I turned to look behind me and one of those 'horror movie' fogs comes rolling in over the flt line.Just about the time the fog envelopes the acft,one of the main struts settles,and me and don damn near knock each other over trying to run away!! We didnt stop running till we was almost to the section!

I did more of those SAAM preps than I care to think about, talk about an over engineered process. It has always blown my mind that the AF in its infinite wisdom, thought that Dyess was be a good place for those three Super-Es. Wouldn't the Rock have been a MUCH more intelligent choice?

James