-15 Upgrade News

From the aviation week and space technology website....

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_channel.jsp?channel=defense&id=news/FUEL081409.xml&headline=Rolls-Royce%20Reveals%20T56%20Upgrade%20Plan

Rolls-Royce Reveals T56 Upgrade Plan

By Guy Norris

Aug 14, 2009

Rolls-Royce is preparing to test an upgraded version of its venerable T56 turboprop to boost performance of the Lockheed Martin C-130, as well as cut fuel consumption by up to 12%. Launched in response to U.S. government calls for reduced dependence on foreign oil, the upgrade is aimed at the C-130H’s T56-15 Series 3, and is also expected to result in improved availability and reliability. “It will save the U.S. Air Force around $80 million per year in fuel costs,” says Dennis Jarvi, president of Rolls-Royce Defense North America.

The first modified T56, dubbed the 3.5 engine enhancement program, will start tests at Rolls’s Indianapolis site in September.

“We are in discussions with the Air Force and Air National Guard to define flight-test parameters and requirements for testing,” says Jarvi, who adds that the “current plan is to perform flight tests in the first half of 2011 at Edwards AFB, Calif.”

The Air Force has loaned Rolls four T56 Series 3 engines for modification and testing. Flight trials and in-service modifications must be performed on a shipset basis, according to the company. “This is due to concerns about potential asymmetric-thrust issues as well as the risk that Series 3 and 3.5 configuration engines installed on the aircraft in combination might cause confusion in the cockpit as a result of turbine inlet temperature and fuel-flow gauge reading mismatch,” it says.

The improvement package updates the compressor inlet housing with the better flow of the Series 4 T56-427A version developed for the Northrop Grumman E-2D Advanced Hawkeye, as well as compressor-wheel knife seals derived from the same variant. The upgrade also includes remanufactured compressor blades, single-crystal first-stage high-pressure turbine blades, and aerodynamically redesigned blades and vanes throughout the low-pressure turbine.

The turbine upgrade is designed to increase component life by around 30%, and “is derived from proven technologies used on existing powerplants, including the [Rolls-Royce] AE engine,” says Jarvi. The large leap in fuel-burn improvement is expected because, as Jarvi concedes, the original Allison-developed T56 is “relatively old technology.”

Due to the requirement to install so many changes to the compressor, Rolls is planning for the 3.5 upgrade to be performed during depot-level maintenance rather than during intermediate servicing. The kits, which will also be available for international C-130 users beginning in September 2011, are expected to increase the range of the C-130H with a 20,000-lb. payload to more than 3,180 naut. mi., from 2,845 naut. mi., compared with a standard Series 3-powered aircraft under identical conditions.

The market potential is estimated to be around 2,000 engines for the C-130, though overall numbers could grow if a potential adaptation of the kit is developed for the T56-14 version that powers the P-3 maritime patrol aircraft.

The modification to the inlet module would be “notionally about six months after the T56-15s [C-130 variant] are made available, or in March 2012,” Jarvi says. Although the Boeing P-8A is in development as the long-term replacement for the P-3C, Rolls officials say the market remains viable for both potential U.S. Navy upgrades as well as international programs. The company reports 7,500 T56 engines are now in service around the world, powering about 1,325 C-130s, 415 P-3s, 37 C-2s and 108 E-2Cs.

In May, Rolls delivered the first production T56-427A for the E-2D program, which is targeted to be a 75-strong fleet, requiring 150 engines plus spares.

As far as I know, the Fuel Control and Turbine are upgraded from the -15. The -16 puts out nearly as much power as the J-model engine.

You sure surprised me with this post. My time attending Allison school - with Navy students in the class - this statement was never made. I must have fallen asleep at that point or something. I was believing that the -16 merely had the heavy duty RGB.

Our Allison books which refer to the Series III never mention it either, that I have seen.

Several sources state the power output of the -16 at around 4910 shp. The J-model engines are rated around 4591 shp to 4637 shp. I haven't read any technical manuals or anything, just pretty much relying on what I find using google. I have heard though that the J-model engine was de-tuned for the airframe and the actual power output may go as high as 6000 shp. I was just going by the rated output for the aircraft. That and the fact we're not allowed to install a -16 fuel control on a -15. Only a -14 fuel control is a suitable sub on H-models.