Taiwan honors members of US Armed Forces

EFLTatCCK

•Publication Date:12/15/2009

•Source: China Times

The Ministry of National Defense presented roughly 600 medals to members of the United States Armed Forces Dec.14, in recognition of the help and support given to Taiwan in the aftermath of Typhoon Morakot.

Approximately 10 representatives from the U.S. Armed Forces attended the ceremony, as did William A. Stanton, director of the American Institute in Taiwan.

“We would like to offer you our great thanks for your magnanimous assistance, given as if to a brother,” said Kao Hua-chu, minister of national defense.

The 600 medals, which carried the words “In commemoration of the Typhoon Morakot rescue operations,” were handed out to all those who participated in the search and rescue operations.

Close to 500 navy personnel were on board the USS Denver, an amphibious transport dock stationed off the coast of Taiwan during the humanitarian mission, said Legislator Lin Yu-fang, who also attended the ceremony.

Other medal recipients included members of the U.S. Pacific Command and the U.S. Seventh Fleet. Military personnel stationed in Japan, representatives of AIT, as well as members of the U.S. Defense Department were also given medals, Lin added.

One officer from the Pentagon made singular contributions to the Aug. 16-17 rescue operations, said Lin. He did not sleep for four straight days, because he had to keep in touch with the U.S. State and Defense departments by day, and at night he had to coordinate rescue operations with USPACOM, the Seventh Fleet and AIT.

The medals have a flag of the Republic of China on them. At first the MND considered including a U.S. flag as well, as a symbol of the friendship between the two nations, Lin said. But the MND thought it would be too sensitive to do so, and in the end decided against it.

“I am sure all the officers and military personnel who wear these medals will feel great pride that they participated in such a noble cause,” the legislator said.

Taiwan and the United States broke off diplomatic relations 30 years ago, and yesterday was the first time since then that Taiwan has ever given any medals to members of the U.S. military. The invitations to the American military personnel were given in secret.

Do I hear a second to my motion to return US Forces to Taiwan on a permanent basis?

Vince Acquaviva Jr Taiwan (CCK) C-130 Veteran

Edited by EFLTatCCK
More info

Vince, thanks for the post...to bad our great US Government keeps giving Taiwan the cold shoulder.

BTW...if you go to www.TaiwanVets.com you will see that hundreds of US veterans have been recognized for their service on Taiwan with the Badge of Hornor and also were recognized for their service during the Qumoy/Matsu days.

I was awarded the BOH in 2000.

Muff

Muff,

I am happy to see that some military is getting recognition for Taiwan service.The US military should of never left Taiwan in 1979. Thank You "Jimmy Peanuts Carter"for that "Screwup".

I was awarded the BOH in 2001 along with my Taiwan born wife that worked for the USAF and later USN. We are life members of the BOH and now are Jurisdiction Chairman for the DC,VA,MD,and Del areas for the 823 Badge of Honor Association even though we live in Southeastern Penna.

We are very active in this Asso. We have about 5000 members and are looking for more members that were stationed in Taiwan or TDY "especially C-130" crews and maintenance that were at CCK AB.

If interested please get in-touch with me or go on our website at

http://www.taiwanvets.com

Vince Acquaviva

Edited by EFLTatCCK
more info

Thanks for the post, I received my BOH 2000....I also hav eTaiwan wife....we just celebrated our 38 years together. We are heading to Taiwan in a few weeks for their New Year. Drop me an e-mail at frankmillen,,,,,,,,@charter.net (delete the chaff).

Muff

PS I also started my acft maintenance career at Forbes....but we had RB47Ks then....