Thunder over the Blue Ridge

gizzard

I guess this is especially to the WV guys at Yeager, but anyone can chime in. This comin' weekend, there is goin' to be a big airshow and flight demos at Martinsburg, WV. The guys there have transitioned to C-5's, and the herks are gone. I was wonderin' if any 130's are gonna be there on display. It has been a LONG, LONG time since i have been on one, and hope to see one there, probably on Sunday. It probably wouldn't be an "E" like i flew but she would still have PROPS!!!!!!!!! I'd like to meet some of you on this board there as well.......

load clear

Giz

Guys, I got back from Martinsburg couple hours ago. There WAS a C-130 there, and it WAS an "E", AND there is a big possibility that I may have flown here at one time, based upon thehistory I got of her. The loadmaster told me she was due to be retired in about six months. I spent maybe half anhour or so on her, just lookin' and rememberin'. Lot of stuff came back for sure. I talked to the loadie, the co-pilot, and the FE, all WAY too young to be playin' with big airplanes, but all three were most gracious and courteous to an old crew dog. I still can't get used to bein' called "Sir." These guys were from the 61st, and if they are any example of what is out there carryin' on our legacy, this country is in mighty good hands. Thanks guys, you made my day big time. I hope someone from Little Rock reads this, finds out who they are, and passes this on. Just sad to know that that great old bird has just about, like so many of us, reached her end.

load clear

Giz

Yup, I sure did. Maybe I make too much of stuff like that, but I think I understand the WWII guys devotion to their birds. That will probably be the last time I ever get to set foot on an "E", but I think it was amazing, that after all these years and as frazzled as my mind gets some time, it was like I had never been away, and I felt like I was fixin' to go make noise ouitof kerosene one more time. Now THAT woulda topped the cake.........

load clear

Giz

Last year I was able to get a "walk around" on a newer 130, but still "looks" the same. The crew, out of Georgia, was very nice to me also, calling me "sir". The co-pilot was a young women (sorry ladies, I can't get used to it) and very knowledgable of the plane...I guess she should be. They were a great crew and let me do almost anything I wanted. I'm sure they thought I was showing off when I was asking about things that must be done before take-off and landing (they surely thought I was testing their knowledge of the plane). Just the smell of the plane being on it made it feel like I'd never left.