C130J auto throttle problem. Need help.

Coaster

Ok for any J guys out there my unit needs some help.

We have one plane that has an auto throttle fault ACAWS(advisory). The system is fully operational. It works on the ground and in the air. We've done IBITS and data-bus checks. We've replaced throttle quadrants and AFCPs and control panels. Weve done NAVRAM flushes to clear the mission computers. Im pretty sure we have done EVERY thing.

If anyone has any ideas ill shut gun the hell out of this plane to fix it.

It is not clear what the ACAWS is. If it is Throttle Throttle advisory, then look at the time stamp(s) on the debrief sheet compare it to the touchdown or landing time stamp on page 1 of the debrief. If the times are with-in 5-10 minutes of landing, then there may not be a system problem, it is a pilot problem. If the auto- throttles are on and engaged and the pilot tries to over ride them by pushing the throttle up or pulling them down, this will trigger a throttle throttle advisory. The scenario normally associated with this is a coupled approach with auto throttle on and engaged. Pilots sometimes forget to disengage the auto-throttle thinking they have already done so. I believe you can find something in the nucense fault list that also addresses something along these lines. A good FSR or GMS person can look into the flight history via the PMA/GMS and confirm weather the auto throttles were in fact still engaged at the time of the advisory. The thing about the PMA/GMS is it is a pilots tattletail. Everything is monitored and recorded, switches, lights, ACAWS warnings, flight controls landing gear you name it, it is monotired and recorded. Pilots can no longer talk there way out of things these days.

I hope this helps.

Ramrod

Im a comm/nav guy on Js and I have seen simular things with our planes, just different systems. We had something simular just happen with a Radar and it ended up being a bad PMA. This past summer we had a cursor control and grip do the exact same thing, i could not get the fault to clear. I exercised the system for about 30 mins and got the ACAWS message to clear. Its been months and I have not seen the fault come back on the aircraft.

Another thing I have noticed is the friggin climate and these aircraft do not get along. Too cold and every system decides to glitch out. If its really cold where you are (under 40) take a heat cart and blast the heat on the autopilot computers in the hell hole, as silly as it sounds seems to work. Same idea if its above 85 just use A/C.

One last idea, and im not sure if you have done this but check the connectors on the bottom of the throttle quadrant, i know they are a pain in the ass to put on and maybe one isnt just tight enough and youre getting a fault because well the J is touchy about things.

With these flying computers I have noticed the good ol saying "Pure F'in Magic" works too.

if you have anymore questions PM me and I will talk with our IFCS guru and Lockheed guys and see what they have for ya

Pointyhead, we get this problem in our hanger so I dont think its temp related. I have seen some temp stuff before so I agree its a problem. Just not for this one. The connectors is a possibilty but we've changed the quadrant twice, once for this and once for a "sticky throttle"(damn pilots). Anyways I think were going to have this plane in the hanger so I can work with it. I think Im going to piggy back an ADC without removing the pitot and static lines and see what that does.

If you wouldnt mind asking those guys that would be cool. When I talked to my lockheed guy he said do a NAVRAM flush and it should take care of it. Didnt work.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for taking the time to talk to your guys. Sadly we've already tried that. We've done novram flushes(I think thats how you spell it) on both mission computers a few times in different ways. Nothing seemed to work. I think its something were going to have to live with for awhile. One of the quirks to these damn computers.

Theres nothing to the system so it shouldnt have hard to fix but its driving us crazy.