C-130A

donald1940

The filler port was off center about 3/4 of the was back from the nose of the tank on top. (That damn ladder was a bitch to use doing it.)

The only accese was by removing the tank from the acft and taking it apart. I was on C-130A's for 5 years and I canot remember 1 time of having a boost pump failure on mine or anyone else's acft. (Don't take long to use 800 Gals)

:)

:confused: Hello,

Where exactly were the fuel filler points on the C-130A Pylon Tanks and where was the access panel for the boost pumps situated? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Don.

Hello Frank,

Thank you for the reply. Do you mean about 3/4 of the way back slightly to the left between the tip of the tank and the leading edge of the wing as I can make out a very vague outline on a couple of photographs that I found. I worked for quite some years on Lockheed Neptune's right next door to a squadron that operated C-130A's and never took any notice.

Kindest regards,

Don.

No it was about three quarters of the way back from the front of the tanks nose on the left side as you faced forward. Back under the wing. You had to use a stand or ladder to get to the filler port, and fill it with a hand held hose from the fuel truck. No SPR for them. We did not like to use the stands as sometimes you might have a binding MLG sturt, and adding the weight of 450 Gal of fuel that far out on the wing would cause the strut to break loose and the wing to drop.

Dutch has it right.No SPR .The pump wasn't in the tank but in the pylon.Begin the tank removal,either take the hose off of the tank nipple or off the pump(don't remember which).We used an aerostand as a dolly, disconnect some electrical and lower the stand very gently.I only did this once.Filling these tanks was a chore.The way we did it was to put 225 gal. in the first tank, move to the other tank which may require a respot of the fuel truck,go to 450 gal.in that tank then back to the first tank (here comes another respot,maybe).When these tanks were used it was a good chance that the acft. had a heavy fuel load already as well as cargo so she was down on the struts to start.

Here's a war story for you:On the way to New Delhi we stoped in Tehran for fuel.A/C wanted full pylon tanks.Put 30 or 32000 # in the wings through the SPR and went to the 1st pylon,pumped in225 Gal and went to the other side.Iranian fuel truck driver isn't happy,I start fueling and he pulled the hand throttle on the truck way out.I'm on that ladder holding the nozzle with one hand and holding on to the ladder for dear life with the other.The nozzle blew out of the tank,I couldn't let go of the lever,the fuel is going up the side of the pylon to the bottom of the wing and raining down on me like F''''N water fall!Let me tell you I was a hurting airman when we landed in New Delhi.JP4,if left on skin will burn like hell after 30 minuts or so.

Dutch has it right.No SPR .The pump wasn't in the tank but in the pylon.Begin the tank removal,either take the hose off of the tank nipple or off the pump(don't remember which).We used an aerostand as a dolly, disconnect some electrical and lower the stand very gently.I only did this once.Filling these tanks was a chore.The way we did it was to put 225 gal. in the first tank, move to the other tank which may require a respot of the fuel truck,go to 450 gal.in that tank then back to the first tank (here comes another respot,maybe).When these tanks were used it was a good chance that the acft. had a heavy fuel load already as well as cargo so she was down on the struts to start.

Here's a war story for you:On the way to New Delhi we stoped in Tehran for fuel.A/C wanted full pylon tanks.Put 30 or 32000 # in the wings through the SPR and went to the 1st pylon,pumped in225 Gal and went to the other side.Iranian fuel truck driver isn't happy,I start fueling and he pulled the hand throttle on the truck way out.I'm on that ladder holding the nozzle with one hand and holding on to the ladder for dear life with the other.The nozzle blew out of the tank,I couldn't let go of the lever,the fuel is going up the side of the pylon to the bottom of the wing and raining down on me like F''''N water fall!Let me tell you I was a hurting airman when we landed in New Delhi.JP4,if left on skin will burn like hell after 30 minuts or so.

Hello GVS and Dutch,

Thank you for the replies.I now have a pretty good idea where the cap was located. I need this information for a modelling project on which I am working. I started working on aircraft in the RAAF back in the early 1960's. Aircraft on which I have worked include the Australian Sabre, Canberra, Dakota (C-47 ) Lockheed SP2H Neptune and Orion and F-111. I still work on the restoration of aircraft at a small museum at a base called Amberley near Ipswich, Queensland, Australia.Aircraft that I have helped restore are a Douglas A-20G-20, Douglas DB7B (looks like an A-20C ), Catalina, Canberra and at present am working on Winjeel which is an Australian designed radial engined basic trainer.

Kindest regards,

Don.