APN-241 Issues

jkoz78

This is regarding APN-241 on C-130H2. Since we've gotten the APN-241, life has been good...until now! Initial write-up is error codes M-06/M-45. We replaced every LRU and have checked for continuity in much of the system. The problem is: BIT fails (LRU6/1A12 replacement codes)...the system seems to turn on completely (power is good) but the pilot control panel cannot take control and the pilot display unit will not display anything other than the startup screen. There is a PCPPWR? notification on the pilot display. When initially pushing WX on NRCP the PCPPWR? goes out but comes back within a few seconds. Has anyone seen this problem or something similar? We've been messing with this for a few days now and I'd really like to be done with it, especially with a UEI next week!! We have also contacted Northrop Grumman tech support, they're not a whole lot of help... Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

We had some problems at Moody with the 241, but I can't remember the problems. I retired 3 years ago, and I've slept since then.

But on two birds, water had run down the cables and corroded the pins in one of the Canon plugs. I never thought it was good idea to have receptacles mounted on top of any box that may be susceptible to water intrusion.

We had a problem with the Color Radar on the C-141. Bad radome gaskets allowed rain water to flow down the waveguide and into the roll assembly. At cruise altitude, it would freeze and cause STAB problems.

I wish I would have been more help.

We had some problems at Moody with the 241, but I can't remember the problems. I retired 3 years ago, and I've slept since then.

But on two birds, water had run down the cables and corroded the pins in one of the Canon plugs. I never thought it was good idea to have receptacles mounted on top of any box that may be susceptible to water intrusion.

We had a problem with the Color Radar on the C-141. Bad radome gaskets allowed rain water to flow down the waveguide and into the roll assembly. At cruise altitude, it would freeze and cause STAB problems.

I wish I would have been more help.

No worries, thanks for the tips! We're pretty sure there's an issue behind the nav's control panel...back out to shoot more wires! Have a good sleep!

• 1 month later...

Heard some good stuff about cleaning card pins and receptacles with contact cleaner at the Avionics Conference a couple of weeks ago. Some units are doing that first thing with any fault code. We have had issues with moisture the most. Hinge covers and the "smiley" radome gaskets seem to be worn out.