Visual differernces among early C-130 models.

fixedsnuffle

Hello I have been trying to work out the visual differences between the transport/airlifter variants of the different C-130H models and earlier variants. For example how can I person identify a C-130H from a C-130G or C-130B or C-130E etc? Are their differences in shape of cabin window or engine nacelles or different escape doors etc.

I have been looking at this on and off over the past 3 weeks. As of yet I have not really been able to identify any significant differences. Of course my eyes are not great. 

Well thanks for taking the time to read this and all the best.

I started working on "A"s in 68 Naha Okinawa 55-56-57 year serial #s ( 815th, 41st, 35th, and 21st) which had 3 bladed props which were converted to 4 blades in late 70's The "B"s are 4 bladed but no external tanks between 1-2 & 3-4 engines. Worked them in country with the boys from Clark in the P.I. In 85 I joined a reserve unit in P.A. Willow Grove 913th A/W 327th flying Squadron we had "E"s built in 63, they had external tanks between 1-2 & 3-4, the "E"s had HF antennas running from top of fuselage just above crew compartment to below top of rudder. Although some early "H"s had the antenna but they had T-56-15s  (Dyess AFB) compared to the "E"s which had T56-7s. Worked on newer "H"s at C-Springs, Pittsburgh, Niagara, Maxwell, Dobbins etc etc and the best way I could tell difference was no wired HF antenna running length of upper fuselage. And od course they were newer looking. But as a Pro Super late in my career I always just checked the forms! Al Udeid 05-06 we had 63 model "E"S and "H"s built in the late 80s early 90s retired Pope 09 we had 87-88 model "H"s.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jcapsparkchaser said:

I started working on "A"s in 68 Naha Okinawa 55-56-57 year serial #s ( 815th, 41st, 35th, and 21st) which had 3 bladed props which were converted to 4 blades in late 70's The "B"s are 4 bladed but no external tanks between 1-2 & 3-4 engines. Worked them in country with the boys from Clark in the P.I. In 85 I joined a reserve unit in P.A. Willow Grove 913th A/W 327th flying Squadron we had "E"s built in 63, they had external tanks between 1-2 & 3-4, the "E"s had HF antennas running from top of fuselage just above crew compartment to below top of rudder. Although some early "H"s had the antenna but they had T-56-15s  (Dyess AFB) compared to the "E"s which had T56-7s. Worked on newer "H"s at C-Springs, Pittsburgh, Niagara, Maxwell, Dobbins etc etc and the best way I could tell difference was no wired HF antenna running length of upper fuselage. And od course they were newer looking. But as a Pro Super late in my career I always just checked the forms! Al Udeid 05-06 we had 63 model "E"S and "H"s built in the late 80s early 90s retired Pope 09 we had 87-88 model "H"s.

Great. Thanks. Very useful. I was airborne in the army and used to jump out of the C-130s and I have always wondered what I was leaping out of. That was back in the 90s. The C-130 has fascinated ever since I was a kid. It's unique look, sound and short field performance. 

Were/are there any visual differences between the T56-7 and T-56-17s that I could spot on the ground?

Edited by fixedsnuffle

-7 and -17 engines differ in that the turbine section is 3 stage (-7) versus 4 stage in newer versions cant really see any difference from the ground. E models typically have a/c unit scoops flush to the right side fuselage along with a gtc with clam shell doors by the left wheel well. Most H and up models have an a/c scoop that sticks out of the fuselage and right wheel well fairing along with an apu in place of the gtc that has a flap like panel that opens up at an angle when it's operating. And to further confuse you different services have their own avionics set ups.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, hlg6016 said:

-7 and -17 engines differ in that the turbine section is 3 stage (-7) versus 4 stage in newer versions cant really see any difference from the ground. E models typically have a/c unit scoops flush to the right side fuselage along with a gtc with clam shell doors by the left wheel well. Most H and up models have an a/c scoop that sticks out of the fuselage and right wheel well fairing along with an apu in place of the gtc that has a flap like panel that opens up at an angle when it's operating. And to further confuse you different services have their own avionics set ups.

Thank you very much. This is definitely useful.  I am about to go and look at hundreds of C-130 photos now with the knowledge you and Jcaps have shared with me. Thanks.