65-0979??

bobdaley

I can\'t say for sure what the tail number was, but back in the \'80s, a Drone Launcher (DC-130H) was modified to carry 60,000 pounds of external load(drones)on the wing pylons. It was nicknamed \"Big C\", the \'C\' being for Cyrano, and the loong nose.

Yep, the wings were beefed up in the DC-130s. There were about 4 or 5 of the \'E\' models that had the pylons removed and were put back into normal service, and I never found out for sure what happened to the one \'H\'.

I had some concerns about the \'E\'s going back to be used as normal airplanes, since the wings were stiffened; was always wondering what was going to happen if they made assult landings, etc., without all the flexure that is designed into the normal wings......

Same aircraft, the wings were beefed up to hold 10,000 lbs at the in and out board pylons. For a total of 40,000 lbs. That is why this aircraft had a rapid transfer fuel system installed. Sadly thou, the wings were removed back around 92-94. It now has the standard wing on it. The nose use extended for a microwave antenna. With was used to communicate with the drones. It was with the 514th FLTS at Hill AFB, untill it was sent to the 418th FLTS at Edwards AFB in 95.

There were 7 DC130E\'s and the one DC-130H The Dc130H was 65-0979.

The E\'s were all 61 models, all the E\'s were demoded back to slicks.

They all hauled trashed until they were retired.

61-2361 is an Avionics trainer at Sheppard

61-2362 is on Display at Little Rock

61-2363 went to Malaysia as a Load trainer

61-2364 is a firefighter trainer at Goodfellow

61-2368 is a load trainer at Minneapolis

61-2369 is a ground trainer at Dobbins

61-2371 is an Avionics trainer at Sheppard.

Bob

I attached a pic of 65-0979 setting the world record. [img size=400]http://herkybirds.com/images/fbfiles/images/4131World_Record.jpg

Back many years ago, probably 1979-80, while assigned to the 16 T.A.T.S at LRF \"they\" chose 4 crews to fly to Davis-Monthan, get a \"walk-around\" course on the DCs, and fly them back to LRF the next day. It was an interesting trip back. No big deal with anything only the \"caution\", \"do not play with the fuel transfer panel, etc.\" Well damn, no fun. But guys enjoyed playing with the cameras. Even flying PPs out of the 16th guys would sit back there and play. That \"bugger-nose\" radome seemed to cause some nose gear vibration though.

Ya know, looking at that pic lf 979 with all that wing load makes me wonder... Who needs bombers to deliver cruise missiles, mod the wings and give em to J models, think of all the bucks you could save.

Load it up with troops or whatever for a S.A.M. mission, climb up drop your missiles and head on to the next frag\'ed stop LOL

Dan