Dirt tire pressures

damnpoor

but having people there in a hostile environment might digging it out and running security may not be the best choice (MC-130E in eastern A-Stan Jan-Feb 2002). Flew overhead comm for that one.

LOL that was a great one, had a really good laugh over that story when it was happening. I remember the crew was begging to jump ship on a helo to get outta dodge but they wanted to leave the crew chief, only to have the CC get on the radio saying "they will NOT be leaving the CC with the plane":p

Army guys didnt give a squat one way or the the other, the pulled up to get the fuel from Mr. Stuck in the Mud FARP plane anyways.

Gary, the only thing I can say would be that the lower pressure will give a much better foot print and decrease the psi between the ground and tire (when out 4 wheeling, we would always drop our truck tires to 5-10 psi) But yes if you drop the pressure as far as 55 or so on the herk you stand the chance of popping a bead if the pilot gets too aggressive on touchdown but If you leave the pressure up you stand more of a chance of a tire getting rutted in, real fun either way.

Guess it will have to end up a crew decision on what y'all want vs published data.

And if your a talon guy on dirt runway - remember centerline:D

Dan

LOL that was a great one, had a really good laugh over that story when it was happening. I remember the crew was begging to jump ship on a helo to get outta dodge but they wanted to leave the crew chief, only to have the CC get on the radio saying "they will NOT be leaving the CC with the plane":p

Army guys didnt give a squat one way or the the other, the pulled up to get the fuel from Mr. Stuck in the Mud FARP plane anyways.

And if your a talon guy on dirt runway - remember centerline:D

Dan

I remember a story about a TalonII veering off and getting stuck, but if I remember right it wasn't so much stuck in the sand, it's brakes were locked up from overheating.

I also didn't know anybody carried crew chiefs on those types of missions, and I also wonder how the CC got on the radio.

I remember a story about a TalonII veering off and getting stuck, but if I remember right it wasn't so much stuck in the sand, it's brakes were locked up from overheating.

I also didn't know anybody carried crew chiefs on those types of missions, and I also wonder how the CC got on the radio.

Al, it was a T1 in Feb 02 (?) at Gardez Old if I remember right, it was really a comedy (for us, not for them I'm sure) but we orbited overhead for a couple hours while this all progressed along waiting to see if the users would give up on FARP and come upstairs where the dependable fuel was:p

Dan