Static Engine Thrust

HercFan

Does anyone have numbers for the test stand maximum static thrust for the various engine and prop combinations used on the Herc over the years? I'm interested in doing some theoretical comparitive takeoff performance calculations for the standard USAF Herc models A,B,E,H,and J. The method I'm using is based on some simplified thrust-to-weight equations and works better with actual test stand results than by using the handbook spec figures for shp and torque. Am particularly interested in the A,E,&H all of which I flew. Thanks

The National Museum of the USAF quotes 800lbs tailpipe thrust with a max operating altitude of 55,000ft for the -7 series. You can check their blurb out of their site under T56. Turbo-props are optimized to provide drive shaft torque in lieu of thrust. An Allison engineer I did some work with some years ago said the turbine actually supplies about 9,000 shaft hp at the turbine coupling shaft front coupling and losing the rest to driving the compressor and reduction gearbox. He also said the unshrouded thrust was about 1,000lbs with about 200 lbs being lost due to the downward angling of the tailpipe. AC-130 crews will tell you there is a noticable increase in fuel burn due to the IR shrouds sometimes fitted over the tailpipes.