Manual flap turns

Plaprad

Anyone know the exact number of turns on the flap manual drive to go full travel? They told us in tech school, but that was almost ten years ago and I've forgotten. That and whenever I try to count I get frustrated around 150 turns and quit.

IAW the 1C-130(A)U-1...

"Approximately 650 turns are required for full extension. A slip clutch is provided in the manual gearbox to prevent the operator from overloading the drive system. Slippage of the clutch indicates the jackscrew nuts are bottomed and the flaps are full up or full down, or that interference will not permit flap operation."

Remember movement should only be made in 10% increments.

Another good one is manually starting the APU, the Mech usually has to be pretty green but it has worked a couple of times for me. Keep the flap manual ext handle in and tell the young crew chief that he or she must crank the speed handle as quick as possible to crank the APU, Then as they get speed have another Crew Chief in the flight deck start the APU and kill it as it gains speed. Now tell the young Mech to spin it faster as it was not fast enough the first time. You can do this as many times as you want...just remeber the duty cycle on the starter.

Another good one is manually starting the APU, the Mech usually has to be pretty green but it has worked a couple of times for me. Keep the flap manual ext handle in and tell the young crew chief that he or she must crank the speed handle as quick as possible to crank the APU, Then as they get speed have another Crew Chief in the flight deck start the APU and kill it as it gains speed. Now tell the young Mech to spin it faster as it was not fast enough the first time. You can do this as many times as you want...just remeber the duty cycle on the starter.

That's a good one too,:D

Another good one was when you open the auxiliary tank, the access door under the wing, you ask the guy to hold the access door, with both hands because the pump would fall on the ground if not fermely held, and then you push the panel up....Have a nice shower man...:D...

• 1 month later...