Ice Detectors

Nc97

Has anyone ever heard of an engine inlet ice detector fracturing and Fodding out an engine? I recently spoke with an engineer at Mack Electronics and he mentioned that the older 575-315’s were renowned for this; we talking hundreds of T-56’s. I also understand that the 575-315’s have been replaced by the Lockheed approved 092-000-001’s. Was there ever an Air Force TCTO to check for these 575-315’s and remove them from service?

Heres what I know, it may or may no be related. There was an original Lockheed Ice detector that was used for some time, then a fancy solid state version came bout. There were some problems with the Solid state versions (not sure what the extent of the problem was - reliability was a factor I am told). Lockheed went back to the older style (shiny) ice detectors, (the solid state where painted black). Have not been around the Herc world long enough to have heard all the stories, although I'm sure I'll spend the rest of my life in this world in one way or another, and I'm sure I'll never hear them all.

-Fox

Ice Detectors came up in conversation today which prompted me to ask about this, I was told the company that made them went out of business which is why the AF switched back to the old ones. I Have seen both types but never looked to see who the Mfg. was - so I can't verify that. (my guess is there are a lot of "reasons" floating around as to why we switched to the other Ice Detector). I know this is a pretty trivial matter as the only difference between the two that made any difference in the operation was holding that ice detector test switch for two long could damage the solid state version. (not sure why you would hold that switch for more than a second anyway.)

The only two types of ice detectors i'm familiar with are:

The old school one (which im told we've gone back to using)

Diaphlex "Detector, Ice air intake duct aircraft, gas turbine engine (probe assembly)"

part # 575-315

Then there was the solid state fancy one-

Dataproducts New England, "detector, ice detector system"

model: 6316-5

part # 93161000-001

What I was taught in advanced systems was that the old ones were an element type that would overheat or something similar, and what ever melted exited the detector and entered the compressor like little ball bearings. I don't know the extent of that damage that occured. Like I said, I learned this in FTD, sooo.... I would research it more. :D

You can contact the instructors at the Rolls Royce school. I'm sure they will know. I'll get you the e-mails when I get back from work.

Edited by SergF
Added more info