T-56 Engine Lighthouse

drw4338

Say, I had an instructor ask me an interesting question and was wondering if anyone knew what he was talking about. I am a prior engine troop, which is why he asked the question in the first place, but honestly i'm not sure what he is talking about. He asked if i knew what the engine lighthouse pressure was. Does anyone know what this is?

For those who viewed this post, I was able to get an answer to the question I asked. I thought I would post the answer incase anyone was curious. According to the Rolls Royce Manual, the inner combustion liner/lighthouse is vented to the atmosphere.

There is a limit to this pressure and it's not standard day the labyrinth seals are allowed a certain amount of leakage (Sorry can't remember the amount CRS and many beers) I will attempt to locate the number. Anyone with maintenance manuals if you look under the section dealing with oil dumping it should describe the procedures and state the limitations

Lighthouse pressure not exceed 11"Hg a - may lead to oil dumping in flight, high oil

temperatures

T.O. 2J-T56-56 SWP 058 01 Table 3

Inner combustion casing pressure (diffuser vent)

- Acceptable pressure above ambient as measured at the diffuser

vent during all periods of stabilized operation is 11 inch Hg. for -15

and 6.0"Hg. for -7B

- Rear compressor and front turbine bearing seal areas.