Nose Weights.

blemieux

Lead gets old?

I can look when I get back into work on Monday, but I have never seen any lead weights. I'm surprised the FDA isn't all over it, saying that would cause drain bamage to kids down in Layton from the runoff.

We had an old E model at the 'Dorf, and it had concrete "dice" attached to the pads.

At Lockheed-Ontario('68-'96), we were using "Kirksite". I was told once that Lockheed had a patent on the stuff. It had about the same weight characteristics as lead, without all the negative press that went with lead.

Be innovative. Design your own. They need only to be able to fit around the fuselage jacks without hitting them or touching the airframe. You will need to be able to install them and remove them without damaging the aircraft. If you get the weight of both sides together to be about 3000 pounds, you'll be covered for pretty much anything.

Ballast Assembly P/N 7135074 made up of rack P/N 7135075, weight P/N 7135076, and frame P/N 7135077.

This came out of the A-3, 57-10-00, page 15.

Little blurb sez,"Local safety office must approve any alternate ballast prior to submission to WR-ALC for approval".

That probably rules out using melted down A-10 bullets (depleted uranium)!

Have fun

Senior Sends

BINGO! those are exactly what we have been using. Many thanks, a couple of us had searched the -3 using a word search, funny thing; you have to use the proper words! My co-worker who needed the info, thanks you very much, so do I, Herky-bird comes thru again,

thanks all,

Please enlighten me on what nose weights are used for. Back in my day if we had a light plane and an even or slightly tail heavy plane we would drive a tug in and park it as near to 245 as possible then we would jack the sucker up....now don't tlee me that you now have to use special balist before jacking?

How do you all ever get things done and planes OR with all these new restrictions...

Man I sure miss the old days...we have a lot more interesting stories than you all have these days.

Muff

Actually, when we have weight and CG limits to deal with, we can't just drive a 10k tug up to 245 and call it good. Ballast weights hanging off the fuselage jack fittings don't add weight to the aircraft that loads up aircraft structure, but it does keep the engine and prop removals from taking the CG too far to the tail. It has been done for many years at depot. It is nothing new.

You mentioned the tug...many moons ago we had to pull all four motors off a bird and parked a tug in the plane for ballast. About three weeks later a J.O. was taking a GSE inventory and came up one tug short. All three of us that knew where it was figured he was a bright boy and would find it...he didn't. About a week later we hung the motors back up and backed the tug out...and made sure the J.O. was in the area. That was the kind of mentoring I liked!

Ah, the good ole days!

Senior Sends