PCSing soon

It's not Cannon that is bad...whole Wombat mission has been a good gig, squadron (people) are VERY cool...Been out here ~2.5, and the base while not a good one, is getting better. Maybe in 5 yrs it'll be "just OK"

clovis is another story...not a big fan, I vol'd to come out here. My AF time started at Hurlburt as an Engine Troop. Was a great first base, location was great...hot and humid.. but a good time. Had some great co-workers/supervision...and that AFSOC mentality was implanted from the get go. After PCS'ing, seen some different sides of the AF, and while none is better than the other, just different, I liked the AFSOC business better. So when Pope got BRAC'd I had to go, LR was an option but having done the AMC gig, I wanted something different, and then got the Wombat gig..whether a Dragon Spear or Combat Wombat, they're both pretty cool and I sure like doing that better than 56/2 all over the desert. clovis, (note I do not capitalize it) is OK for living...I go to work and come home...that is about all it is good for. I shop on base as much as possible or go to Lubbock/Amarillo/Abq. I try not to give the a$$hole locals a dime...sure there are some nice ones, but I've had some run ins with them and wouldn't mind seeing this place incinerated.

Having said that, for location I'd love to go back to Pope, but mission wise, and not knocking Pope/AMC, Cannon takes the win for me. Cool job, $hitty spot.....

oh yeah, when I retire, law school, congress, BRAC the $hit outta that place, I'll take that vote!

• 2 weeks later...

well i got my assignment rip on the 1st. 5th AMXS @ Minot :( lol i'm still feeling the effects of depression. i can only hope my prp paperwork gets denied and i get a chance at another base, hopefully a 130 base. Alot of people here at the en-route have Pease AFB in NH.

Funny thing is i know 2 people get there prp denied in the last 2 weeks, now i know why Minot and Barksdale are always on the list. LETS GO PRP DENIAL :) lol

OMG -- Why not Minot!!! I hope your denial comes through. I was stationed at one of those northern tier SAC bases for a year (K I Sawyer AFB, MI) -- worst year of my AF career.

What's prp?

The B-52 is a fascinating airplane to be a crew chief on, but it's very maintenance intensive. If I remember correctly, the show time for the maintenance guys was 8 hours before takeoff. Then you worked your butt off after landing; mostly avionics baby-sitting.

A question for you recent SAC guys; do they still pull alerts for a week or so?

Don R.

• 2 weeks later...

DC10FE, From what i'm hearing about Minot and from a guy who worked buffs at barksdale is it is a very MX intensive airplane. like servicing the struts both before refuel and after for proper "x" dimension and if your hyd res is over service, the tool you use for deserving it is a bike pump with a QD on it! lol

A prp is a process you go though to make sure your not un-fit or anything of that matter to be around nukes. its a very lengthy process that is very in-depth...all in all its a giant pain in the back side. other than that i've been told it gets wicked cold during the winter and really hot and humid during the summer and mosquitoes are really bad during the summer too. plus they go though inspections every 6 months due to them flying those nukes across the country with no one knowing so that should be fun...NOT!!!