Vietnamese Mysteries

bobdaley

hello all! i am researching the history of the VNAF and have accumulated lots of information -for instance the aircraft in your pictures coded GZJ is 56-0489-how do i know?because a vietnamese language website called canh thep has several pictures on it.it was captured at tan son nhut but was damaged on its left wing rear area.the pictures also show damage on and in the tailplane and top part of the ramp interior.in the background are 2 more destroyed C-130A hercules,the nearest one is a pile of burnt metal that is unidentifiable,the far one has the tailcode GZL.it is interesting to wonder if the middle one was coded GZK? that would be logical if the VNAF parked their aircraft in alphabetical order....does anyone know if they did? i also have lots more info on VNAF herkybirds-if you have a question please ask,simon.

Hi Simon

I have done some research on the SVAF Herks but have hit a few roadblocks.

The original plan to give A models to the SVAF was part of a plan called "Enhance Plus".

I have found good documentation of AFRES participation but none of the ANG participation.

The plan called for 32 A's, 16 AFRES and 16 ANG to be delivered to the SVAF in 1972.

AFRES identified 16 aircraft and 4 spares, eventually 19 AFRES aircraft departed the US and 16 were delivered.

The three spares that departed the CONUS were used and replaced originally scheduled deliveries.

I don't know what they ANG did but they too delivered their required 16.

SVAF had problems with three Roman nosed Herks and got the USAF to swap them out in 73.

56-0519, 56-0521 and 56-0545 replaced 54-1631, 34, 40.

Of the 35 A's that the SVAF had 3 were returned to the USAF in 73, and 15 in 1975

7 were stored at Tan Son Nuht after 1975 in unflyable storage, most are still there. 9 were written off in accidents or combat.

In addition to not finding out much from the ANG, I have never been able to get a list of the tail letters assigned to all the SVAF Herks. I have identified all 35 SVAF Herks and there fates. I'll try to attach it, below.

I will try that Vietnamese site but if it is written in Vietnamese, not much hope.

If I can't attach the file and you'd like a copy send me an address.

I never saw the SVAF Herks parked by tail letters.

If you have any more info on SVAF Herks please let me know.

Thanks

Bob

I tried to upload that file and it said .xls it is an excel file is invalid.

It looks like two of the seven at Saigon are gone and the rest pushed closer together. It looks like an expansion of the parking ramp and new building has taken place, perhaps for freighters. This only shows up on Google maps as far as i can tell.