35th TAS Party--Naha---1968---Are you there???

Mt.crewchief

I have posted these before, but they have long since disappeared and now that there are a lot of new members on the forum, especially old Naha guys, I thought I would post them again with hopes you will find yourself or somebody you recognize in them!!

These pics were taken in November 1968 ( I'm pretty sure!!). If you were in the 35th during that time you should recognize Msgt. Andy Haskell and Msgt. Galloway. (Flight Chief & 1st. Sgt.) !!

I do know a lot of the names and there are some I can't remember--maybe we can help each other out and identify them all.

Thanks for your help,

Ken Carlson

I have some more but will quit while I am ahead.

Dscf1552.jpg

Dscf1560.jpg

Dscf1556.jpg

Dscf1561.jpg

Edited by Mt.crewchief
trying to add stuff

I remember a party but we were near a creek and had a tug of war.

I was one of the smaller ones and got pulled in the creek.

I left in Nov. 66.

It seems there was a Sgt Tanner as an ancor for the rope.

I was in one of the Barricks like the one in the picture.

The last picture has Msgt. Haskell the 35th flight chief, and the guys behind him are Ssgt. Bromley and Sgt. Dan Lafferty. Bromley on the left!

I do know one of the guys playing/singing the music was named Tommy Toepple (sp), but I can't remember which one for sure. I think he was the one with the orange shirt and singing!!

I have some more pics of the same party with some more faces that I will post tomorrow.

Maybe I can jog some memories with these pics.

Thanks for looking,

Ken

Sonny,

Msgt Tanner went to the 21st TCS on 18 Aug 66. Same time as I did. At that time he wasn't the line chief.

I think Sgt Powell was line chief in D section, 51st OMS.

We both got to Naha about june 65. I only stayed 17 months and I think he was there with his family and stayed 36 months.

I got out in Nov 66.

I mostly worked for Tsgt Shifflett. A1c John Boyle tought me how to run engines at Sewart, and was at Naha also.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive donwon and Sonny. Now I wish some of the 35th guys on this forum would speak up!! I know High Tide would know some of the guys but I haven't seen him around on the forum for awhile! I think I have asked you both, but do either of you guys remember John Eggers? He was in the 21st. when I was at Naha. He was a crew chief on a silver bird and had his wife over there. Later I renewed friendships with him at Dover!! He was a Ssgt.

Anyway, I will keep trying!

Ken

PS I do remember Msgt Tanner---he was a good guy!!

Sgt Orlando was over the swing shift tow crew one week and we had a Typhoon warning.

After getting all the planes in hangers and all that could fly were gone, we were left with one plane that had just got back from IRAN.

It hadn't been cleared to fly and no hanger space was avalable for it.

We were told a flt. crew would run the engines on the ground and keep the plane headed into the wend when the storm hit.

We started refueling the plane and when we were almost done 2 rows of rivits between #3 & 4 engines popped out with what sounded like thunder and fuel started spewing out the rivit holes.

We were right in front of the tower or base ops and close to the fire dept.

The fire dept was on us almost as soon as it happened and started putting water and foam on the fuel and the fuel was going into the drainage system and people said the fuel smell was all the way past the Navy flt line.

We did defuel the plane and the storm never hit.

We were each ask what had happened and were cleared of anything we did rong.

When the fuel pannel was removed duct tape was found inside the tank covering the vent line.

Off topic put it where it needs to go.