History of VOR / ILS Damping capacitors on early NIS panels

Thruster763

Hi,

The early Herc's had relatively large (780uF & 3680uF IIRC) capacitors across the VOR/LOC and GS deviation circuits. Has anyone got a reference to the purpose of these? I assume that they were to damp vibration induced movement of the pointers in the old AQU-2/A HSI's and ARU-2B/A ADI's. This is based on dynamic braking, the pointer movement generates an AC voltage, capacitor "shorts" the AC voltage thus needing more input energy to produce the same deflection. I would however like a reference or anyone else's thoughts. I'm doing an upgrade and am going to pull them. At 30 years old and only a few hundred millivolts across them, some of it reveresed, I doubt they have much capacitance left and lots of ESR!

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

They were to dampen the signal to the autopilot to prevent excessive movement when the A/P was coupled to the Nav Aids. This is from the A/P troubelshooting section of the 1C-130B-2-8. If you remove them and have poirposing or yawing problems on approach, you'll know you still need them. I know a Little Rock bird had a poirposing problem a few years ago that was troubleshot to a bad Cap. This bird had the ARN147 VOR/ILS and the digital A/P installed.

(C-130E and C-130H Airplanes Only.)

If ripple is excessive, replace the glidepath

radio output filter capacitor after checking

airplane wiring. The No. 1 and No. 2 AN/

ARN-67 system output capacitors are designated,

respectively, as C30RA and C30RB.

These capacitors are located on airplanes

AF61-2358 through AF61-2373 at radio

junction box terminals 44 to 45 and 124

to 125, and on airplanes AF62-1784 and up

in the navigation instruments switching panel.

Hi Tiny,

Thanks for the reply. Do you recall what indicators were fitted to that airframe? not worried about the model, just if they were mechanical or "glass".

Robert.

QUOTE=tinyclark;24915]They were to dampen the signal to the autopilot to prevent excessive movement when the A/P was coupled to the Nav Aids. This is from the A/P troubelshooting section of the 1C-130B-2-8. If you remove them and have poirposing or yawing problems on approach, you'll know you still need them. I know a Little Rock bird had a poirposing problem a few years ago that was troubleshot to a bad Cap. This bird had the ARN147 VOR/ILS and the digital A/P installed.

(C-130E and C-130H Airplanes Only.)

If ripple is excessive, replace the glidepath

radio output filter capacitor after checking

airplane wiring. The No. 1 and No. 2 AN/

ARN-67 system output capacitors are designated,

respectively, as C30RA and C30RB.

These capacitors are located on airplanes

AF61-2358 through AF61-2373 at radio

junction box terminals 44 to 45 and 124

to 125, and on airplanes AF62-1784 and up

in the navigation instruments switching panel.