Pitchlock Stationary Ratcheting Ring

Lkuest

A question came up about the Stationary Ratcheting Ring, which is one of the rings installed over the Pitchlock Regulator. The job of the ratcheting ring is to prevent the propeller from decreasing pitch only during a pitchlock condition. The propeller can increase pitch, but not decrease pitch. The other job it has is to provide an alignment pin to help align the pitchlock control cam. The pitchlock control cam prevents pitchlock operation above 55 deg and below 25 deg.

My question is this: Since the alignment pin on the stationary ratcheting ring is only there for a reference point to correctly "index" the pitchlock control cam to the correct blade angles, is it exactly necessary to have the alignment pin installed on the ratcheting ring, or can it be removed and still allow the propeller to remain operational?

I know it is physically possible to still function correctly, as the barrel assembly prevents a correctly indexed pitchlock control cam from rotating in the absense of an alignment pin on the stationary ratcheting ring. I have been brought up through Tech School and T56 journeyman training to believe this alignment pin is optional. My problem is that I cannot find Tech Data which specifically states that it may be missing. I have already searched the 61JG-10-1, 3H1-18-2, and 3H1-18-3. Does anyone in the Herc community have any knowledge of the appropriate Air Force/Lockheed/Rolls Royce tech data that says I may use a stationary ratcheting ring with the alignment pin removed?