Nose Landing Gear retraction

NATOPS1

Thanks Ramrod for your help and clarification, as for the down lock switch it is LMCO part, and as for switch adjustment we have tried all setting of adjustment, but none of them worked.

At present our intention as you state in your post is to replace the NLG actuator, but we are facing some difficulties on doing the task out of home base, we are trying to bring the aircraft under "Exceptional Release" and deal with it at home station.

Depending on where you are, I do not think you should have any problem getting a one time flight to the nearest repair facility. Although you will have to fly gear down all the way. That will suck. Just state all your facts as you presented it to me and address the problem as the system indicates properly when the down lock witch is backed off and the gear is in the up position. You also should describe the red light in the weather it is on of off thru these same steps. Possible NLG down lock indicating pin malfunction. You can also call LMCO Tech support or the SPO at Warner Robbins ALC if you have a phone available.

We have the same "Performance" information as to when the gear retraction must be initiated.

The question is to the purpose of the statement "The NLG must take at least 3 seconds to retract", not a performance driven procedure such as "landing gear retraction should be initiated within 3 seconds".

I agree during retraction the gear takes MORE THAN the minimum time (as stated in the operators manual) of 3 sec to retract.

Is this statement in the USAF, USCG, or other operators manuals?

tenten if the pin does not retract you will retain the ground and the down indication will remain

Also what does your warning light do? Does it remain illuminated or extinguish?

What series aircraft are you on please?

I would say the fact you can insert the ground lock means your actuator is locked in the down position however you will only know if it is truly DOWN AND LOCKED once you insert the pin.

I would also say you should; as recommended fly the aircraft with the gear down and pinned. The ground lock pin is the only real indication you have on the position of the lock as the indicator pin is not retracting therefor not extending reporting the condition of the internal lock.

If you fly and retract the gear the next extension may not be "real" and the internal lock may not be engaged.

Depending on the situation have you “pushed†the indicator pin “in†with the gear retracted to see if it is just stuck?

I would not due to possible binding inside the actuator but…. As stated “Depending on the situationâ€.

We have the same "Performance" information as to when the gear retraction must be initiated.

The question is to the purpose of the statement "The NLG must take at least 3 seconds to retract", not a performance driven procedure such as "landing gear retraction should be initiated within 3 seconds".

I agree during retraction the gear takes MORE THAN the minimum time (as stated in the operators manual) of 3 sec to retract.

Is this statement in the USAF, USCG, or other operators manuals?

I think it’s a typo it should be 13 seconds (like the lower limit retraction time in the job guide) not 3 seconds. LOL

More text from: page 666

NATOPS FLIGHT MANUAL

NAVY MODEL C-130T AIRCRAFT

15 NOVEMBER 2006

CHAPTER 9

Functional Checkflight Procedures

9.2.5 Descent/Level 2,000 Feet or Below (Profiles A, D and F)

25. Landing gear operation.

a. Normal operation.

(1) Lower gear normally; all gear should indicate DOWN in 19 seconds or less.

(2) Raise gear; all gear should indicate UP in 19 seconds or less (the NLG must take at least 3 seconds to retract).

Here’s a link to a searchable copy of the manual

http://info.publicintelligence.net/USNavy-C130T.pdf

If it is a typo then it has survived rewrites and new series type aircraft from the 1960's thru the current NATOPS dated 2003...

(oops I ment 2013 thats a typo)

Now a limitation that has survived being WRONG for 50+ years is most likely NOT A TYPO…

Our defect is solved by changing the NLG actuator, hoping to you the best to solve "the puzzle of the 3 seconds".

NATOPS1

I did not catch your point when saying: "If the pin does not retract you will retain the ground and the down indication will remain"

As for the LG warning light it was working normally and was not affected by the malfunction of the NLG position indicator.

Yes; the point that hesitating us from flying back with the defect is exactly what you have said: "If you fly and retract the gear the next extension may not be "real" and the internal lock may not be engaged".

Anyhow thanks to all for the feedback.