Nav panel lighting

AMPTestFE

Can anyone tell me why our USAF H1's are wired so that you can only see the SCNS mode advisory lights if you turn the nav instrument lighting rheostat up?  It turns out that these lights are wired into the dimmer rheostat.  So if you were flying during daylight, and you wanted to see the SCNS status lights, you'd have to turn the instrument lights on.  This seems wrong to me, especially since the pilot/copilot advisory lights are not wired this way.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It was an engineering decision by WR-ALC, and the guy that made it is probably retired. We had problems with the SCNS dimmer on the H's. It had a 5 Amp C/B installed and it kept popping. We did some checks and found out it had near a 7 Amp draw on it when all the way up. An engineer added the ECM panels to the circuit. The C-130 has to be the most undercontrolled aircraft in the USAF. I have tons of stories of one mod team coming to the base and saying they were going to put equipment or C/Bs in certain locations, then me having to tell them another mod already had those locales.