KC-130J for AFSOC

fltsload

Air Force officials announced the award of two contracts to Lockheed Martin Aeronautics Company-Marietta, Ga., June 13 for the procurement of six modified KC-130J aircraft, and non-recurring costs associated with modifying the KC-130J.

The modified KC-130Js meet the unique mission requirements of the Air Combat Command\'s search and rescue and Air Force Special Operations Command\'s special operations forces mission areas. These awards begin the recapitalization of the Air Force\'s aging fleet of CSAR and SOF HC/MC-130 aircraft, which have long been in a state of low supply and high demand and are facing mounting sustainment challenges.

Question,

Are these assets to be \"in addition to\" or \"in place of\"?

If they are in addition to, it will really be a good thing as the tankers are chronically in short supply.

But wait and see what Norty does, but previous leadership would have mothballed the entire fleet just because they had new toys and would even have been shorter on tankers.

I still don\'t understand the logic behind parking the entire fleet of MC-E\'s at March when they could still do the mission.

I still have trouble believing the transfer of four MC-P\'s to the guard in Kalifornia either.

Dan

Ahhhh Cannon, believe it or not we are also looking at land down around Hobbs seeing how many hundreds of acres we can get for our bucks (also looking around Utah, Montana and Wyoming). Feel for you though, I know how it is to be physically drug to NM with fingernails gouging the floor on the way out:S

Dan

They are also modding the MC\'P\'s with dual rails now along with other ADS stuff. We have an aircraft now that is getting fitted at depot, but that doesn\'t mean anything anymore. Spend all the money to TCTO the hell out of them and garbage them the next day.

DaveB)

There are no Shadow\'s getting duals rails at Depot, even though the unit really pushed for it. Dual rail installation should be happening soon, at a contractor\'s facility.

I think everyone knows that modifying aircraft falls under the 5 year rule. No mods if the aircraft are within 5 years of retirement unless it is flight safety or sustainment related. As far as I know, there are lot\'s of mods still on the books for the Shadows. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

Guest cobra935o

Yeah arent they going to do the rail mod in Crestucky? It seems like anything else the Shadows have undergone has been up there in the last 5-6 years or so, although we also did some mods in Alaska a few years ago when I was at Kadena.

Dan,

Dont do it, you know it is still NM, even though you dont have to teach at the school house anymore! I dont think I could ever move back to NM again, no matter where it was at. I did make the best of my time out there but it still sucked. Dont get me wrong the 550 was great in all actuality, just the area wasnt really my cup of tea, and Kirtland was really a crappy base as far as services (bx, etc. etc.) were concerned! Also if you had to use the VA, you would have to come back to that overcrowded mess up there in ABQ wouldnt ya, you do remember that night mare right? Hehe!!!!

Nathan

Dan Wilson wrote:

I still don\'t understand the logic behind parking the entire fleet of MC-E\'s at March when they could still do the mission.

The last time I saw, there were only 4 MC-Es at March. The idea is that the 711th cannot/will not keep all the MC-Es. This is purely a funding/PAA issue. Secondly, even if they did store them at Duke instead of March, what happens to the airplanes they can\'t crew-up for hurri-vacs? They just don\'t have the man-power anymore since the 8th switched to that funny-lookin thing & moved.

Pete

HeyChief wrote:

There are no Shadow\'s getting duals rails at Depot, even though the unit really pushed for it. Dual rail installation should be happening soon, at a contractor\'s facility.

I think everyone knows that modifying aircraft falls under the 5 year rule. No mods if the aircraft are within 5 years of retirement unless it is flight safety or sustainment related. As far as I know, there are lot\'s of mods still on the books for the Shadows. You can draw your own conclusions from that.

I guess that\'s my bad. I was told that my Chart A\'s would be modified at depot to accomodate the new rails. It doesn\'t suprise me one bit that they push this stuff back further.

Hell it seems I stay more up to date on what\'s happening on this message board then what they tell me at work?!:S

DaveB)