Question about elevator?

wysongj

Okay, so I've never read this in any T.O., or heard why, but is there a reason to tie the yoke back during windy weather? I think it sound like a bad idea, but I thought I would ask the experts here.

While in Bagram we had a transit crew from an unnamed base AD base in Texas who used a cargo strap to tie the yoke back. The wind and maybe other factors actually led to the yoke braking.

Then yesterday here at Scott, two C-130s that were here also were tied back. I don't know this for sure, as a civi the SPs won't let me on the flightline and on to other peoples plane for some reason, but the elevators were up.

I know this might be a stupid question, but it really has me curious! Even my limited knowledge of the herk does not jive with this. Help!

Thanks,

J

That should be a big fat no-no.

Flight Control Wind Precautions. The following paragraphs provide general precautions

to be observed during windy conditions.

Do not use mechanical restraining devices on flight control surfaces, unless both the utility and booster hydraulic systems have been depleted or a booster unit has been

removed (aileron, rudder or elevator booster package). Built-in snubbing action in a fully serviced system will prevent slamming of the controls into their stops.

Do not use rig pins in any flight control system nor secure the rudder pedal, control column or control wheel as a means of locking control surfaces against wind gusts. If the booster and utility hydraulic systems are properly serviced, normal wind gusts will not damage the controls.

The ailerons, elevators and rudder are placed in their neutral positions so they may move with any changes in the velocity and direction of the wind. This should prevent damage to the rudder and aileron controls and control surfaces.

The ailerons, elevators and rudder control booster assembly packs may lose snubbing effect if both hydraulic systems have not been pressurized for an extended

period of time.

Whenever a booster assembly or associated hydraulic component is removed, or a control surface is disconnected from a hydraulic booster assembly, or the hydraulic systems are drained of fluid, an external gust lock shall be installed to lock the control surface to adjacent structure to prevent damage.

Sonny

Lockheed have an elevator/rudder gust lock which is listed in the dash 4.

Elevators are sometimes pulled back in order to clear some of those idiots driving the forklifts when loading cargo. Kelly AFB still bears the scars on the ramp from the loss of an L-100 when it's control column lock fell back on rotation and locked them at full up elevator.

Alos in '95 I had to replace both control columns on 3212 at Dothan, Alabama, after Hayes mechanics tied them back to the crew seats with tie down straps. Both columns broke through the tube where they meet the base casting.