I need help with a veteran

herkman

Down here I work as a volunteer, helping veterans get the entitlements which of course is a minefield. However I am pleased to advise that the benefits down here, appear to be clothed in less red tape that in the US Forces.

I am assisting a Australian lady who still is an Australian citizen, who was married to a US Army veteran, and he died some three years ago from a condition that may or may not be service related.

The US Government sent a head stone for his grave all the way from the USA, but he is buried in a local plot, as we have no military graves here in Australia after WW2.

A problem has arisen, where the Australian government who is in charge of pensions, has indicated that she must make first a claim on US vet affairs for her pension, before they will top up her pension, by the difference between her Australian citizen entitlement and the Vets dependent from the USA.

From this you can see it has become complicated, because the two governments have different rules.

I have been looking through the US Vet Affairs site, and whilst some questions I have found answers there are just as many that are not, and hoping that some help and advice could becoming from you guys. Any other comments may care to make is appreciated.

1. If the Vets widow remarries, will she loose her USA pension, you may be interested to know that in Australia she would not.

2. Whilst she remains a widow, are there any benefits she would get, in addition to the pension which I presume would be granted.

3. Because Australia does not come under the NCA, she has had to pay the total cost of the internment. I note that in the USA because it may not be able to be proved that he died of war related causes, that she only has two years to do this in. Can a waiver be obtained for this time limitation, in view of the lack of both information and the NCA having representation down here.

I would appreciate any comments or advise you would care to make, if you would prefer not to make comments on this site, my email address

[email protected]

Thank you so much

Regards

Col

• 2 weeks later...