Gotta know what your doing

Dan Wilson

Heres what happens when you reload and (apparently) dont have a clue what your doing:eek: - dudes pretty lucky!!

A guy came into our department the other day to ask a favor. He had a S&W 629 (44 Mag.) that he wanted to dispose of after a mishap at the range.

He said there was a loud bang when he tested his new load and the gun smacked

him in the forehead, leaving a nice gash. When the tweety birds cleared, this is what he

saw......

smithcyliner1.jpg

smithcyliner4.jpg

smithcyliner3.jpg

Shotgun propellant overcharge/compressed charge, magnum primer, and over crimp - recipe

for disaster. He's lucky he only lost a little blood, and not his hand. Alternately, the metal

between the chambers shows a little oxidation and what seems to be striation ..... maybe

a crack or cracks, or some metal fatigue ......

There's a lot of things that can go wrong very quickly when you're reloading. One of my

favourites when I started, was cases splitting. I loaded 9mm Parrabellum using an 85gn

bullet and around 7.5gn of shotgun propellant to get the energy up. Result was the cases

seldom made 3 reloads before the case split or primer pocket became too worn out. My final

competition load was a 150gn bullet and 4.8gn of propellant - smooth and soft on the hands,

and with a subsonic muzzle velocity, easy on the ears too

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reloading for many years and the 1 potential problem I encountered was loading 44Mag. I was trying Unique powder to simulate 44 Specials. Unique is a fast burning powder and does not require a lot of powder. I did a double load in one case but I always look at the cases when I finished loading powder and discovered the double load. I would have been very sad to damage a Ruger Redhawk and possible personal injury. I now load only slow powders to eliminate that problem, and still check every batch.

Wil

The only thing I will reload, is the dishwasher. Call me lazy - but I just "save the empties and return them for the deposit".

Except in the case of one rental car where we used the roof for a rest and left the trunk open. Then all of the empties ended up in the trunk. And I wasn't gonna bother cleaning that out. Gave something for the rental car people to wonder about when they were cleaning it.