Jump to content

Does anybody knows what's this?


Recommended Posts

hello everyone,i have some question:confused::confused:

when i saw the imgs,i found a tower on the top of the aircraft,like this



does anybody knows what's this?radar or sth?

and i saw the stuff on c-130E c-130H,is it the dedicated equipment of those two plane?

hope someone explain to me,thank u very much :):)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a foggy old memory, back in the day, as said it's the Station Keeping Equipment radome. On top of the instrument panel there's a mount where we usually kept the APN 59 radar repeater scope for the pilots. For SKE missions we swapped it out for the SKE scope. Each aircraft in the mission had specific info to input into the SKE system - offsets, distances, unique aircraft IDs, etc.

It was intended for formation flying in less than VFR weather conditions. Not sure if many people actually trusted it much but it was a tool to train with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We still use it. However, even numbered aircraft (wingmen) are offset 500 ft to the right of their element leaders while odd aircraft (element leads) have 0 cross track. Gone are the days of the 3-ship element. Now it's the 2-ship element.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...