Jump to content

PART 66 in aviation


Recommended Posts

Hello  C130 world,

does every/any military  technician in aviation has a license part 66 and part 147/145?

A test bed (test stand engine) are they also require a license part 66 or is the formation in house? also back-shop tec's do they need a license as well?:unsure:

with all new regulations in aviation safety, the senior tec's who are not licensed can they have an equivalent license?

please let me know!


best regards bob

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Australian Defence Force is moving down this path and adopting the European Military System (EMAR) but how it will all work i am not sure.  Having assessed civilian part 66 licences i would assume that those without a full equivalent licence and are trade supervisors currently would get a B1 or B2 with the appropriate exclusions or inclusions as the case may be and those coming in would get fully trained and once a trade supervisor get a full B1 or B2. Europe is slightly different in a few minor things to Australia and the USA would probably never go down this path due to having a different structure in place.

AMPTestFE - part 66 is the EASA aircraft maintenance licence regulation - FAR's do not refer to this at all as the USA do not use this licence system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I live in NZ, hold a NZCAA part 66 licence and work for a part 145 maintenance organisation. The requirement before being able to certify work is to have acheived a licence, about 11 exams for Airframe and Turbine Powerplant with limited Avionics plus an oral exam conducted by someone from the CAA, I think exams are pushing $300 each minimum, 70% pass mark take on average 1 to 3 years to complete, (a mixer of the EASA & FAA systems) that is the start. 

Then you must complete a Type approval / Rating course for the applicable aircraft (6 - 10 weeks depending on the type, C-130, A320, B737NG etc.) generally one or two exams a week, pass mark now 75% plus the Tech Oral conducted after your experience log for the type has been accepted by the QA department. You are now ready to certify / Release to Service to applicaple aircraft type so long as you maintain currency on type 

Welcome to the world of the NZ LAME, (Licence Aircraft Maintenance Engineer) it sounds like a tedius process but I think it delivers the right mix. I'm lucky, I have the best of both worlds, licenced and working on the mighty Herc while also covering Boeings and Buses,  really enjoy the variety of work on each different aircraft type.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...