C-130 News: Officials confirm C-130 Hercules military plane went down near Savannah

casey

The Savannah Professional Firefighters Association says it is a C-130 Hercules military airplane that crashed.

16670756_G.jpg

A massive number of emergency responders are on the scene of a military plane crash on GA-21 at Gulfstream Road in Port Wentworth.

The call went out for a reported "plane down" just before noon Wednesday. Witnesses called WTOC and reported actually seeing the plane go down.

The Savannah Professional Firefighters Association says it is a C-130 Hercules military airplane that crashed.

View full article

The Air Force says an Air National Guard C-130 cargo plane has crashed near an airport in Savannah, Georgia.

Chatham County Deputy Coroner Tiffany Williams says police tell her two people have been killed in the crash of a military cargo plane near an airport in Savannah, Georgia.

Williams said she didn't have any other details on the deaths Wednesday.

In a tweet, the Chatham County Emergency Management Agency says the plane crashed Wednesday at the intersection of two roads.

The Savannah Morning News reports the plane was from the Air National Guard 165th Airlift Wing. It crashed around 11:30 a.m.

A photo tweeted by the Savannah Professional Firefighters Association shows the tail end of a plane and a field of flames and black smoke along the side of a road as an ambulance stands nearby.

http://abc30.com/c-130-military-cargo-plane-crashes-near-airport-in-georgia/3419348/

Having worked on almost every variant of the C-130 (except the new J), it seems almost personal, that they would crash. I have my theories as to why there have been increasing C130 crashes but I don't have the facts. Does our community have crash reports and findings? It hurts to see this great airplane killing its crews.

Just heard from a friend of mine in Fl.(we were on "A" models in the AF).He heard that it MAY have been caused because of cargo shift.Question is how much cargo would be on a bird going to the bone yard?

Good question for @GVS since on most boneyard flights even some 780 equipment is removed for home base shortages and the extra mechs on board were possibly going to bring some hard to get black boxes, parts ,etc. back to P.R. for the remaining birds. Never heard of hauling cargo to the boneyard. Sure hope it wasn't a prop problem like on the Navy "T" that took lives a while back. RIP and prayers for the families. Bill:(

Interesting.  I am also a member of a DC-10 group.  The webmaster there forbids any mention of any DC-10 crashes or incidents with the threat of immediate expulsion from the group.  I think he's an ostrich.

Don R.

That plane appears to be out of CG. Looks like the tail skid struck the runway. That could be the result of a load shift aft. Out of CG nose heavy is recoverable. Tail heavy is not usually recoverable. Looks like it rotated on its on and you cans see them struggle to make it fly. Nose heavy is recoverable to a certain point as long as you have a few thousand feet in front of you.  I know as I loaded a 12% MAC right after I got checked out in Viet Nam. Dumbest thing I did in all my flights. Luckly we had another 2,000 feet in front of us. At rotate speed the nose wouldn't come up... I had a great pilot, Maj Cherry, he added speed to the approach and landed with no issues. There is no place to hide in a C130.  Loaded three pallets (30,000lbs) of 175 rounds. Locked in the first pallet 2 locks too far forward and the next two right behind it.   

23 hours ago, DC10FE said:

I think he's an ostrich.

I would agree.  We just need to keep in mind that we are speculating, trust that the investigation will determine the cause and most importantly, be respectful/mindful of those involved and their loved ones.  

There were various reports of a single engine failure. In the video of the crash a short puff of smoke can be seen just before the nose of the aircraft goes downwards. Possible stall after loss of power just after take off?? Engine failure was on the same side as the aircraft rolled towards.

The white puff of smoke it appears to be something on the ground on the opposite side of the runway.   You can see something bright white prior to the plane rolling past that spot.    Also from this video, which I have watched numerous time could this be a no flap takeoff?

This is another video that has been posted from a nearby Truck Lease company.   Video from 2 different camera angles.   In the 2nd video the perspective appears to show it in a pretty good side slip until it finally begins an apparent stall entry.

I've heard reports they had called back to Ops there with an IFE and were returning.    Some of the guys from the Georgia unit know some things but are not saying anything online.

Possible left wing eng trouble.   #1? 

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates to the circumstances of this tragic mishap? Was the airplane equipped with a FDR and CVR? Recovered? I would expect that progress reports have been issued by the safety investigation board? "Used-to-be"...each wing operating herks would be on the distribution list.

From what I can see of the videos...the takeoff and climb appeared to be an unusual combination of attitude and bank right away after takeoff. Nose high and a lot of right bank it looks like. Hard to tell from the distance and angle. I too can imagine a static #1 propeller in a few frames of one of the videos.

I also can see what looks like a big yaw angle to the left developing and progressing to stalling that wing.

I was initially thinking big-time prop malfunction, but I would have expected some kind of grounding of HamStandard props-equipped planes to have occurred already, if that were the case.

• 1 month later...

When I heard and saw this accident on You-Tube a few weeks ago I was greatly sadden to see this old girl gone.  I worked and flew on 50968 and her sister aircraft while I was stationed at Keesler.  Though I was the crew chief of 50963, I knew all these planes. I have many found memories of the Hurricane Hunting days. What a great job it was!