Load at Cubi Point--1970

Mt.crewchief

I was told that this load was the computers for the army payroll in Korea. I am not quite sure of that, but we did deliver it to Osan. It took a lot of jockeying to get that thing loaded!

I think that was the trip to Cubi Pt. that the local (civilian) fuel-truck driver came out with JP-5 and I wouldn't use it until somebody came along and told me that it was okay to use!

DSCF1684.jpg

DSCF1687.jpg

Edited by Mt.crewchief
correcting stuff

We did one of those in Feb. 68 it took the whole cargo bay you could just get by on the side it was real heavy got it in Naha I think took it Korea I remember because we had a low prop oil light on run up had to taxie back and check it it wasn't low did not come back on misson accomp.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a photo of a wide load. Back in the summer of 1993, we had to take a mobile control tower from Bangkok to some small airport in northern Cambodia for the United Nations. There was only about one inch clearance on each side and it was so wide, the loadmaster had to operate the ramp & door from the external control panel.

Don R.

Well, RZ, it is exactly where Lockheed put it. Most commercial -30's came without paratroop doors, so they installed a panel on the left side aft of where the door would be. Behind that panel is a hand pump & the controls for the ramp & door.

Don R.

Edited by DC10FE

Don, I remember one of the engineers at SAT telling me he was checking out a leaking rudder pack when he heard the pump come on. He threw himself in the loading ramp storage (fortunately no loading ramps) and started banging as the door came up. We had a procedure to pull the ADS CB if you went up on the door becase of the external panel, but people get in a hurry....did it myself more than once. the engineers first name was Emory, he was also one of the engineers on the credible sport. I dont remember his last name.

Well, RZ, it is exactly where Lockheed put it. Most commercial -30's came without paratroop doors, so they installed a panel on the left side aft of where the door would be. Behind that panel is a hand pump & the controls for the ramp & door.

Don R.[/quote

Shows that you can always learn something about the Herc.

RZ

• 3 weeks later...

Cubi Point, brings back memories. 1978 had just landed from a SEAL drop and was headed to the other side to debrief. Me and Rat stopped at a hot dog stand at the main gain at Subic when 2 Marine cops tried to arrest us for being out of unifrom until they finally determined that we were Air Force and let us go.