Tech School 1967

Mt.crewchief

This is a pic of some of the guys in my class at Sheppard AFB in 1967! What I would really like to know is what is the history of the acft. we were using for a trainer? How long was it parked there or is it still being used as a trainer?

Ken

[ATTACH]134[/ATTACH]

Edited by Casey
Fixed pic

From Lars Olausson's book.

54-1621

Trainer(TC-130A?) Sheppard Technical Training Center, ground instruction (GC-130A) (6705,76) WFU 7810 On dump Sheppard (81,8409) Scrapped 8605

Casey, Thanks for fixing my picture etc. I was kind of figuring that you might rotate the pic for me, but didn't want to ask!!!! Thanks also for the info! I know when I got the orders to start school, that I had no idea what a C-130 was, and after taking a look at that trainer, I thought "wow-what a neat-looking machine" !! You know after 42 yrs. I still think that!

Ken Carlson

That's funny RZ, I went to school on B-47's at Amarillo and then straight to A models at Sewart. Don't know if it is the A model in the first post but the 3 bladed props off one of the A models at Sheppard ended up on our gunship at Dobbins. Looks real nice with those 3 bladers. Hey MIKE-1 do you remember the tail#? Bill

Edited by Spectre623

Hey Don I was very stimulated too But the fist time I got to fly on a herk was to Mildenhall as a support mech. for the A.R. shop but after that it was strait to the flt line for me I worked my ass off to get acc job after that it was all gravey

eclark

I was at Sheppard Late 1958 into 1959. Sat in PATs barracks for many weeks waiting to be assigned to a tech school. Was supposed to go to hyd school but it was closed before we got there. I ended up pulling KP for 40 days straight....and usually got to the mess hall last and had to do pots and pans or peel potatos and veggies.

Left Sheppard and went to Forbes on RB47Ks. I do not remember the C-130 there. We worked on a B57, F-80 and some other fighter don't remember.

You and I may have been in the same 43 school I do not remember class number or sqdn data. Yea right!!! Being from Boston I had told all my friends that I was joining the AF and was going south to Texas for a warn winter. Hell it was colder in Texas than in Boston. Back then we had the unlined field jackets and you could button on a hood. We went down town and bought the hoods at an army/navy type store. But then we could not wear them on base as Sheppard was in a tropic zone and the hoods were not authorized. Being airmen basics we did not dare break the rules and frozz our ears off.

Muff

That's interesting to hear about Sheppard being so cold! When I was there in the summer, I had B-Shift classes, and if the red flag was flying it meant it was 105 degrees and we didn't have to march through "noon review". There were more than a few days we didn't have to "eyes right" to Gen. Nigro!! (what a memory)!

I was in P. A. T. School at Sheppard for about 4 weeks waiting to find out what I was going to go to school for. That was after I spent a month at Lowry in Denver awaiting school for weapons and munitions school! I had a top secret security clearance and all, and then I got orders for Sheppard without knowing what I was going to be doing there! The funny thing about that is that there was another guy named Carlson also that went to Sheppard with me with the same exact circumstances! His name was Paul but I lost contact with him but I think he went on to be a loadmaster or maybe Aerial Port! Anybody know him?

Thanks for listening,

Ken Carlson